Egg substitutes
Posted: 19 January 2012 09:48 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2012-01-11

This may be insulting to real bakers but hoping not—I was wondering if anyone had experience with egg substitutes for vegan baked goods and which are the best to use?

Signature 

Rose Braverman
Molokai Hawaii

Posted: 21 January 2012 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1612
Joined  2011-02-17

I don’t have experience but I just bought Ener-G Egg Replacer which is a culinary egg substitute. I’ve read many positive recommendations for this product.

Posted: 21 January 2012 11:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-11

Thanks for the tip Flour Girl.  I will see if it is available locally and would appreciate your letting me know how it works out, once you have used it.

Signature 

Rose Braverman
Molokai Hawaii

Posted: 22 January 2012 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  607
Joined  2007-11-27

I’ve used the Ener-G egg replacer; it works well.  I’ve also used the Wowie Cake recipe for vegan cake requests because it has no eggs and is oil based (if you google Wowie Cake, you’ll get lots of results.  Use Hershey’s cocoa for best results with that recipe….); if you replace the cocoa with almond flour, it works as a non-chocolate version too.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 22 January 2012 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Jeanne - 22 January 2012 01:45 PM

I’ve used the Ener-G egg replacer; it works well.  I’ve also used the Wowie Cake recipe for vegan cake requests because it has no eggs and is oil based (if you google Wowie Cake, you’ll get lots of results.  Use Hershey’s cocoa for best results with that recipe….); if you replace the cocoa with almond flour, it works as a non-chocolate version too.

Thank you Jeanne!

Is this the recipe?

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?12067-Choco-Wowie-Cake

Posted: 22 January 2012 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Rose Braverman - 22 January 2012 03:14 AM

Thanks for the tip Flour Girl.  I will see if it is available locally and would appreciate your letting me know how it works out, once you have used it.

It was sold in the nutrition section of my local supermarket. I believe you can also get it on line. I think the company has their own website.

Posted: 22 January 2012 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-27

That’s the one smile

You can cut it in half as well - this is what I used when I made it for a wedding.  I think when I did it as a wedding cake, I was able to triple the recipe and used it for a 12” square pan.  It doesn’t really rise all that much, so to get the three layers of cake I needed, I made it three times.

It works with white vinegar as well, just in case you don’t have apple cider vinegar on hand.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 22 January 2012 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

That is good to know, thank you! I don’t have Apple Cider Vinegar. 

This recipe calls for a 9x12 pan. Is that a quarter sheet? Can a round pan be substituted?

If cut in half, what size pan should I use?

Posted: 22 January 2012 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-27

If you cut the recipe in half, you could make two 6” rounds; if you use it as written (for a 9x13, which is a quarter sheet), it will make 2 8” rounds or 1 9” and some left for a 6”.  It’s been a while since I made these, but they are good, the chocolate especially with cream cheese frosting….

Signature 

Posted: 22 January 2012 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

That sounds great! Thank you!

I don’t think I can do the cream cheese frosting or the peanut butter frosting ( in this recipe) because I have to make ti cholesterol free. But, Extraordinary Cakes by Karen Karanse has a killer vegan chocolate frosting recipe. 

Jeanne, one question, this recipe calls for a 9 x 12 pan. Did they make a typo or does this recipe differ from yours?

Thank you so very much. I am very grateful for your help.

Posted: 23 January 2012 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  697
Joined  2012-01-12

I did used substitute at one time,  and it just went to waste.  It fell apart and tasted terrible.. so for me ,  never again…

Posted: 23 January 2012 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-27

What did you use it in PrettyCake?  I’ve only ever used it in cake recipes so I have no idea if it might not work in a particular recipe.  I would be interested to know in case it comes up again!

Signature 

Posted: 24 January 2012 09:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-11

Thanks Jeanne for the tip on the Wowie cake and the tip on using Hershey’s chocolate.  I googled it and am looking forward to trying it.  I also like the idea of trying a non-chocolate version. 

Thanks to Flour Girl for the tip on the killer vegan frosting by Krasne.  I will try to find it and give it a try.  I have used a vegan frosting that I found on VegWeb in case you’re interested…
1 cup vegan margarine, at room temperature (I use Earth Balance)
4 cups powdered sugar
dash salt
2 tablespoons vanilla
4 tablespoons nondairy milk or soy milk
1/2 cup cocoa powder

Directions:

1. Blend margarine until mushy.
2. Add powdered sugar, salt, vanilla, non-dairy milk, and cocoa (all remaining ingredients).
3. You can add in more milk to make it a bit smoother, but not too much.

Signature 

Rose Braverman
Molokai Hawaii