2 of 2
50% off coupon for Michael’s Craft Store
Posted: 16 September 2008 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  596
Joined  2007-11-27
hectorwong - 09 June 2008 06:49 PM

So you know, I’ve been delivering quite a few wedding cakes recently and arranging fresh flowers normally provided by the wedding florist.  Each time I feel a tingling sensation on my fingers, must be all the pesticides/fungicides/wax-preservatives on the flowers.  And the standard is to just stick these flowers right on the frosting/cake, it is “safe” but I think not a good idea to do often!

Regarding the craft store coupons, I just used mines and got my Wilton 10 inch angel food pan.

Hector, you can wrap the stems with floral tape (the stretchy kind) for added safety, but usually I bring plain drinking straws with me, and insert the stem into the straw, cut the straw so the stem is not exposed, and then insert it into the cake (I use coffee stir sticks for wired gum paste flowers).  Much safer than sticking stems into the cake, although the florists I work with and trust implictly have assured me over the years that since we are cutting the stem so close to the flower head, there is little risk of problems coming from the stems.  If the flowers have been sprayed and are wet when you are using them on the cake, this makes me a little uneasy.  I would be anxious about using flowers from a grocery store as opposed to from a reputable florist; grocery stores need the flowers to last if they don’t sell and are more likely to use some kind of treatment.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 15 October 2009 04:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-10-15

Very nice pictures… The cupcakes with flowers are perfect.

By the way, is there any sort of on-line guide to which flowers are edible?
I?d like to learn more and I sure don?t want to make a mistake on this.

foxdrg
Simulation pr?t

Posted: 23 October 2009 10:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2009-09-25
foxdrg - 15 October 2009 07:12 AM

By the way, is there any sort of on-line guide to which flowers are edible?
I?d like to learn more and I sure don?t want to make a mistake on this.

foxdrg

Courtesy of Patrincia:

http://www.cakecentral.com/article18-List-of-Non-Toxic-Flowers-for-Garnishing-your-Cake.html

Signature 

Tom <”))))>(
(TDWyatt)
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -Plato

Posted: 25 October 2009 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Thanks Tom!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

2 of 2