Yoda
Posted: 23 January 2012 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Hello everyone!

I haven’t been around the boards for the last while and I haven’t really been baking a whole lot lately.  I have had some big changes at work and it has kept me busy. 

I did manage to make a birthday cake for a co-workers grandson this weekend.  He wanted a cake with Yoda ( from star wars on it )  This is the first time I have ever sculpted anything and the birthday boy was very excited when he saw the cake.  I actually got a huge hug from him.

The cake itself is the white velvet butter cake with choibust cream filling and white chocolate mousseline buttercream.  I tempered dark chocolate to make chocolate shards to put around the cake.  Yoda is sculpted from rice krispies and fondant.

Although I am no artist,  I think he kind of looks like Yoda.  At least the birthday boy knew who he was. LOL

Image Attachments
yoda 2.jpgyoda.jpg

Posted: 23 January 2012 10:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

That looks great! smile I agree, it does look like Yoda, and the cake and filling sound wonderful, a perfectly delicious vanilla cake.

So happy to see you back here and baking, too.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 23 January 2012 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks Julie.  I hope to be baking a bit more now that things have settled down at work.  Yoda was alot of fun but I think his head is a bit big for his body.  Rose’s recipes are so wonderful because they are not too sweet.  There were three diabetics at the party and they loved that all the components of the cake were not overly sweet.

Posted: 23 January 2012 11:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Beautifully done, Liza!!!  I think the heada is perfect, and I love his coat!  The flavors do sound wonderful!  Can you freeze a cake filled with choibust cream?  How long will it sit at room temp?  I recently made a cake filled with a custard, and it was a huge hit, so I’d love to try Rose’s cream fillings.  Your combo sounds both delicious and beautiful to cut into!

Posted: 23 January 2012 11:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Hi Anne!
I used the chiboust cream recipe from the pie and pastry bible for the Gateau St.-Honore.  It tastes great.  It is basically pastry cream lightened with whipped cream and stabilized with a bit of gelatin.  Rose only mentions that it can be refridgerated for 3 days.  But you might be able to freeze it with the added gelatin.  Rose mentions in her pastry cream recipe that it can be frozen if gelatin is added to it. ( from the pie and pastry bible. )  You could try a small batch and see how well it thaws.  And of course, report your findings to us.

I think that the cake sat out at room temp for a few hours before it was cut and it was fine.

Posted: 24 January 2012 01:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1648
Joined  2011-02-17

Holy!! That cake is amazing. You are very talented. It doesn’t even look like a cake! WOWWWW!!

Posted: 24 January 2012 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  325
Joined  2011-10-15

Liza, the cake and Yoda look fantastic! I’ve never thought of using chiboust cream as cake filling….sounds delicious.

Posted: 24 January 2012 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

Chiboust is great for cakes!  This is a cake I made with chiboust as both the frosting and the filling, it’s one of my all-time favorite cakes:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/1875/

As for refrigeration and keeping parameters, I would think it’s a lot like gelatin-stabilized whipped cream, possibly a tad more long-lasting if you include liqueur. smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 24 January 2012 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Thank you Liza and Julie—such wonderful cakes!!!

Posted: 24 January 2012 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  325
Joined  2011-10-15
Julie - 24 January 2012 02:28 PM

Chiboust is great for cakes!  This is a cake I made with chiboust as both the frosting and the filling, it’s one of my all-time favorite cakes:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/1875/

As for refrigeration and keeping parameters, I would think it’s a lot like gelatin-stabilized whipped cream, possibly a tad more long-lasting if you include liqueur. smile

Gorgeous cake Julie.
It sounds as though the chiboust is quite versatile and can be paired with both butter and genoise-style cakes. It’s given me some ideas for my Feb baking (4 family birthdays and Valentine’s Day) smile !

Posted: 24 January 2012 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

I love the Yoda!  Fabulous job and very impressive carving.  I love the idea of using chiboust cream!  I really prefer pastry creams/custards to buttercreams for fillings if they will work with the timeline/refrigeration/freezing aspects of the cake.  I bet it was delicious!

@Julie, that is one yummy looking cake!

Posted: 25 January 2012 07:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2011-09-03

I love Yoda! And I know my son would be absolutely thrilled with something like this for his birthday! And I think his proportions are cute and very close to some of the characature type memorabilia my son has.

I too love a pastry cream type filling! The cake sounds sooooo yummy and looks amazing!

Posted: 26 January 2012 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1211
Joined  2009-11-24

I think Yoda is just Fantastic…and find it hard to believe this is your first sculpture.  Very brave of you to attempt it.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.