2 of 2
Baking Powder Levels…
Posted: 22 March 2012 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

My pleasure!!!  I always ask a million questions when I make a cake, so feel free!

You have, however, caught me a little out of my experience. You will probably not be surprised to know that this does not prevent me from having an opinion!  : )

I’m thinking that buttercream-strawberries-buttercream will make a slippery situation and be a bit messy when you go to slice it, with the layers separating.

What if you made a strawberry puree and mixed it into the mousseline and had pink frosting between the layers?

Another possible is, if you’re doing a tiered cake, is to fill the sort of “ledge” that forms—the moat—with strawberries.  Make a barrier around the edge, then fill the “ledge” with strawberries.  You could also make a border around the topmost tier and fill it with strawberries.

Good luck!!!

There are some others who probably have direct experience here and they will, no doubt, chime in with the voice of experience!!

—ak

Posted: 23 March 2012 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2012-01-27

big surprise  SLIPPING! Oh, that won’t be good…never really thought about that BUT YOU are soooo right! Butter is slippery mixed with the wet of the berry, mmmm….not so good…I like your idea with the strawberry flavored layer but the bride is not…I think I may just go for sliced strawberries on the side. (If any at all at this point) Maybe a puree to drizzle at each table. In any event, you have armed me with confidence. I am in the process of making the fondant/gumpaste flowers now so I don’t have to feel rushed about the whole thing.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/558903_2509852244366_1794903998_1441568_936350284_n.jpg

(Don’t know if the flower photo came through)

Posted: 23 March 2012 04:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

YOU MADE THOSE?????????????

Holy mooing cow!!!!!

Amazing!

Posted: 23 March 2012 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-27

LOL….yes, I took a class and am hooked!! (I made the flowers in my profile/avatar photo as well) There will be no color other than a dusting of some off white pearl dust. I am making the Heavenly White Velvet Cake and the Mousseline Buttercream.  5 tiers and all layered.  My first tiered cake of any heighth!!!  Which explains all the questions, lol. I hope to post a photo of a cake that turns out well.

Posted: 23 March 2012 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

I thought the ones in your avatar were real!  You might be the Gumnpaste Queen ... or even the Gumpaste Guru ...

Posted: 24 March 2012 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-27

grin  Thanks!! I am a beginner. It’s not much different than working with those plastic type clays.  I love creating things.  Anyway…I want to ‘Thank You’ for your kindness and your responses…you have boosted my confidnece levels tenfold on making this cake.

Posted: 15 August 2012 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-27

Ok…here is the final product of my labors, the cake tasted wonderful…I used the White Velvet Cake recipe (very moist) and the Italian Mousseline Buttercream with Grand Marnier as the flavoring…my very first real Wedding Cake. Flowers were gumpaste. The rhinestones were the Bride’s idea…I have no feelings towards them. (I would have rather it wasn’t on the cake)

Image Attachments
wedding cake1.jpgweddnig cake.jpg

Posted: 15 August 2012 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4804
Joined  2008-04-16

Wow, you do gorgeous work!  That looks as though you’ve made hundreds before it, very professional.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 16 August 2012 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  774
Joined  2007-11-15

What beautiful flowers!  You should be very proud of yourself, I know I would be if I could do anything like that. grin

2 of 2