Agar Agar for stabilizing whipped cream
Posted: 30 January 2012 04:18 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, all—especially Julie, the stabilize-whipping-cream-with-agar-agar queen,

Do the flakes work as well as the powder?  I’m thinking not, but I thought I’d ask.

My groc only carries the flakes.  I know I can order the powder, but I wanted to stop in and see if I need bother.

Thanks!!

—ak

Posted: 30 January 2012 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

Anne, I can’t answer your question as I’ve only used flakes that are cooked before adding to whipped cream, (I’m assuming you’re wondering if you can just sprinkle them into the cream without cooking?) which do work well but in my experience, take longer to cook/dissolve than the powder.

But, I’m curious about your source for the powder…...the product I’m currently buying from an Asian grocery store has a high proportion of sugar (about 2/3 by volume).....I’ve gotten it to work but I do have to reduce the sugar in the cream/pie filling/mousse etc to compensate and I’d like to find a product that is more pure.

Posted: 30 January 2012 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Sophia!!

Thanks so much for your thoughts!

Now Foods brand has no sugar added (http://www.nowfoods.com/Foods/real-food/Products/M004070.htm).  You can order it from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Food-Products-Powder/dp/B000MGSJ5A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1327957657&sr=8-2).  I think you can also order it in different quantities.

Posted: 30 January 2012 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15

Thank you, Anne.

I’ll check into these sources.

Posted: 30 January 2012 09:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

The flakes have to be cooked before adding to the whipped cream, and they take longer cooking to completely dissolve than the powder.  It’s very tricky to add the warm agar to the whipped cream, as it starts to solidify at about 90-95F, so you have to get it in before that, which is pretty warm to be adding to cream.  With some creams, adding something that warm will start the cream curdling pretty quickly. 

The powder you can just sprinkle in without cooking first, or for a stronger stabilization you can cook it first, it will then have the same issues as the warm flakes.  If you sprinkle in the powder, you need to use twice as much as you would cooked, i.e., 1/2 tsp agar per cup of cream if you’re going to cook/dissolve it, and 1 tsp of the powder per cup of cream if you’re just going to sprinke it in.  Sprinkling is much easier smile

I have to admit I don’t like using the flakes very much, maybe it’s just the brand available locallly or something, but it seems like they never completely dissolve, even with extended cooking.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 30 January 2012 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Sophia—My pleasure.  I ordered a bottle from Amazon tonight—it has free shipping on the bottle, without having to even order $25!

Julie—Thank you so much!  I’ve ordered the powder and am reallly looking forward to stabilizing some whipped cream!!!  Thanks for the 1t:1c ratio!!!!!!

Posted: 30 January 2012 11:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15
Anne in NC - 31 January 2012 02:58 AM

Sophia—My pleasure.  I ordered a bottle from Amazon tonight—it has free shipping on the bottle, without having to even order $25!

Anne, Amazon.com won’t send this product to Canada but I found a Canadian distributor for it that offered a similar deal. Thanks again for the product name….all of my previous searches brought up bulk packages or molecular gastronomy kits!

Posted: 31 January 2012 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

molecular gastronomy kits

ewwwwwwwww

: )