Milk with steeped vanilla bean
Posted: 31 January 2012 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2010-12-29

I am making the white velvet cake for Sunday and I usually take a split vanilla bean and add it to the milk and bring it to a boil and then cool to room temperature.  My question is: can I do that today or tomorrow and just refridgerate the milk until Sunday and then bring it to room temperature?

Posted: 02 February 2012 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2011-09-03

I did this with the cake I made at Christmas. That milk was TASTY- big vanilla flavor. I left the bean in the milk until after I brought it back up to room temperature.

Posted: 03 February 2012 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Oh, yes, definitely.

Also, whenever I am going to bake a cake that uses liquid (as opposed to, say, sour cream), I always split my bean and put the whole pod in the water/milk/whatever.  This way, all that pod flavor has all night to soak.  It makes the most amazing milk!  When I have leftover milk from baking (I don’t use it for anything else), I split and soak vanilla beans in it for a day or two and then freeze it, and I have vanilla milk “on tap.”  It’s quite wonderful!!!!!!!

Posted: 03 February 2012 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16
Anne in NC - 03 February 2012 02:11 PM

When I have leftover milk from baking (I don’t use it for anything else), I split and soak vanilla beans in it for a day or two and then freeze it, and I have vanilla milk “on tap.” /quote]

What a great idea!  I bet it would be a good thing to do with the spent beans after you’ve scraped out the seeds (if you don’t want to put them in sugar).

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up