runny canned pie filling
Posted: 02 February 2012 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-02-02

Hi everyone….I have a problem wihen using canned fruit filling.  No matter how long we wait to cut the pie, the filling runs toward the middle into the absent slice area.  I have tried cornstarch and tapioca but still happens.  What am I doing wrong?

Posted: 02 February 2012 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi!  If you are using cornstarch it needs to be heated enough to work properly—the filling must bubble thickly before it’s set.  That said, Rose has some excellent pie fillings that are home made and they are incredibly delicious!  Sometimes they are a bit runny, but usually set nicely if cooled.

Posted: 02 February 2012 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-02-02

If I open the canned fruit filling, are you saying to heat that with the cornstarch first?  Sorry if I misunderstood

Posted: 02 February 2012 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2009-05-25

It depends.. if your crust is prebaked, then you can heat 1st.  If you are making a double crust pie, the mix the cornstarch with a little water 1st to help incorporate into the filling then it must be baked until the filling is bubbling.  The problem may also be that most canned fillings are lacking fruit in comparison to the sauce—you may want to use 2x the filling but remove excess sauce.  Although, I must say home made fillings are almost always better even when poorly executed.