Is my oven too hot?
Posted: 04 February 2012 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2011-07-19

I am thinking my oven is too hot…

I have a thermometer that I use in the oven to check my temperature and always have to turn up the heat higher than what the reading on the digital is.  But, my cakes seem to take a bit longer to cook in the middle than the higher end of the stated time and sometimes the cake starts to just pull away from the sides even before I can pull it out (as the middle is barely cooked).  Also, the cakes (esp. chocolate) seem a little dry.  I use Rose’s cake strips.  Is the thermometer just off and I should buy a new one?  I am baking tonight, would it be OK to just go by the digital temp. even if it is 25 degrees cooler?

Thanks for your help,
Allie

Posted: 04 February 2012 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2011-07-19

I go by “a few crumbs” and pull it out.  I don’t know…something is off and I am guessing it’s the oven temperature.  I will definately be ordering another thermometer though.  Just a bit frustrating…

Posted: 06 February 2012 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-01-25

Hi there
I have a similar problem. I am not sure if the oven is the right temp. If i bake it at the instructed heat, the cake cracks on the top, but if i make the oven cooler, it takes longer to bake. Luckily the cake wasn’t dry.
gulp

‹‹ Jack Daniels cake      Raisin Scones ››