Mousseline Buttercream Never Warmed Up, Safe To Eat?
Posted: 04 February 2012 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2011-07-19

I just made the Strawberry Mousseline Buttercream from RHC…
The syrup came to 248 F, was added to the meringue in 3 batches, but the bowl never got hot.  The meringue was maybe warm at best and did not need to be refrigerated before being added to the butter.  The buttercream came together beautifully and tastes delicious, but I am just a little hesitant about the safety.  Please help!
Thanks,
Allie

Posted: 04 February 2012 10:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Sounds OK, though it’s hard to imagine how the 248F syrup wouldn’t have heated the bowl… were the egg whites very cold when you started?  Hector uses frozen whites to make mousseline so that the meringue doesn’t need so much cooling time.  I do think the risk is very low, as most bacteria that infect eggs do so in the yolks, and the rate of infection is very low, normally 1 in 10,000 or less.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 04 February 2012 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2011-07-19

Thank you Julie for replying!  House temp was probably about 66F, so maybe that played a role?  Also, the amount of syrup seemed really small.  The only other time I made this recipe, it was doubled and the bowl did get nice and hot.  Maybe it cooled off so quickly because there was very little of it (maybe about 1/4 cup)?  I sort of freaked out and ended up making SMBC instead.  In doing so, I think I answered my own question as to the taste difference between the two.  I have to say I much prefer IMBC, it’s much lighter in texture and I would guess would complement the cake instead of overpowering it with too much butter flavor.  We will have someone who is pregnant and someone who has a slightly supressed immune system at our Super Bowl party tomorrow, so I was afraid to take a chance even if it meant sacrificing taste a bit.  I will most certainly be purchasing SafestChoice eggs next time around.  Thanks again!
Allie