Cake pan conversions
Posted: 07 February 2012 12:12 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2012-02-06

I have recently got into serious baking and decorating and have gone into a shopping blitz for stuff like cake/cupcake pans, turntable, piping sets, fondant/gumpaste sets etc etc and for the moment I don’t have the budget to buy more stuff. I want to try out so many layer cake recipes but most of them call for 9*2 or 9*1 1/2 inch pans (including most of Rose’s recipes). The problem is I only have 2 8*3 inch pans for layer cakes. If I choose to bake cakes which call for 9 inch pans in my 8 inch pans, will my results be different ? How much longer should the baking time be and how should I estimate the finished height of my cakes ? BTW, I bought the 8*3 inch pans because I think that tall cakes look better but now I’m concerned about the texture since I find that most recipes call for 9 inch pans.
I have heard that TCB mentions something about using the exact pan sizes. I have recently ordered TCB but am yet to receive it. In the meantime, I want to try out a couple of cakes. Please help me as I want my results to be perfect.
I also have concerns about my oven tempeature. I use an oven thermometer but I remember having read that Rose says they are not very accurate (in my library copy of TCB) and the All Occasion Downy Yellow Cake is a very good indicator of oven temperature, but since my pan sizes vary I can’t use it to judge the accurateness of my oven. Please suggest some other way.

Posted: 07 February 2012 06:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2010-03-31
Sadaf - 07 February 2012 04:12 AM

I also have concerns about my oven tempeature. I use an oven thermometer but I remember having read that Rose says they are not very accurate (in my library copy of TCB) and the All Occasion Downy Yellow Cake is a very good indicator of oven temperature, but since my pan sizes vary I can’t use it to judge the accurateness of my oven. Please suggest some other way.

Maybe in RHC there’s an equivalent cake for oven temperature benchmarking purposes.

Posted: 07 February 2012 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Sadaf!

Welcome! 

If your pans were 8 * 2 or 8 * 1.5, you’d be good to go, but Rose’s recipes do not work well, we are told, in 8 * 3 pans—the pans are too deep.  If you want tall cakes, you can bake 3 9” layers or, with 3 8” layers.  You cna be fairly flexible in pan sizes, to an extent, but I’d return the 3” deep for 2” deep (or even 1.5” deep) 9 or 8” pans.

Good luck, and keep us up on your baking!!

—ak

Posted: 07 February 2012 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

In RHC the chiffon layer is made in a 3” deep pan, and I think you might do well with Biscuit de Savoie in a 3” pan, but nearly everything else needs a shorter layer to bake well.  If a cake has enough structure to hold itself up in such a deep layer, it won’t be as tender and delicious for eating.  So, bascially, sacrificing eating quality for height.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls