How to use an oven
Posted: 08 February 2012 03:24 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2010-03-31

The standard oven these days come with bottom heat, top heat and a fan at the back of the oven. Problem is, the oven manual seems like it’s written by people who don’t bake much. How do I know when to use bottom heat only or top heat only or both heat w/o fan?

Posted: 08 February 2012 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

Is the top heat the broiling element?

I would call the oven’s manufacturer.

If you use the fan, I think you need to alter the baking temp 25 degrees.

Posted: 08 February 2012 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3170
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Karin!

I was thinking the same as FG—call the manufacturer.  There’s probably an 800 number in the manual somewhere.

I’m thinking the bottom only is for baking, but I don’t know, as to the fan.  I don’t think “old regular” ovens have them, so I think most recipes are written for the fan off.  However, the fan might give you options or improved performance, but, like FG says, might also require a temperature adjustment.

—ak

Posted: 08 February 2012 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27
karin - 08 February 2012 07:24 AM

Problem is, the oven manual seems like it’s written by people who don’t bake much. How do I know when to use bottom heat only or top heat only or both heat w/o fan?

Knowing which feature to use is probably more an aspect of cooking knowledge, rather than equipment knowledge.  For instance, I cannot imagine a use for a top heat only in baking; I would only use it for broiling.

Those with convection ovens can provide guidance for when its use is appropriate in baking; I have seen warnings against its use when baking more delicate products, because of the vigorous airflow.  Supposedly, too, cakes are better with bottom heat only.

While the manufacturer is ultimate authority on how to operate the oven, I think your best source on how to cook with it is other cooks.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 24 January 2013 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2013-01-16

Can I help? I produce convection ovens (the ones with a fan). It works like this generally:

The top heating element is in two parts: a grill for broiling or putting a nice golden brown on baked goods (2 minutes or so and you have to watch it so you don’t burn the food) and a heating element that works together with the lower heating element.

The heating element around the fan for convection cooking. You can turn down the temperature and reduce the time cooking with the fan but a lot of baked foods do better with static heat (without the fan). This is good for bread rolls, cobbler and some pies. It also allows you to cook on all levels at the same time and even with different food on each level. The cooking result should be uniform on all levels and you shouldn’t have to turn the tray at the halfway point. It’s all about the air flow here.

Cooking with the bottom and top heating element without the fan or static heat. This is the best solution for cookies, cakes and roast.

It is a bit more complicated but this is the jist of it.

Chris

Signature 

Be well,

Chris

Posted: 23 April 2014 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2014-04-23

I am also selling ovens(exportation),but i am not a professional baker(Chinese people didn’t bake much as in western countries).I want to learn baking and got some equipments in my kitchen in future.Start learning…