your suggestions for a choc cake that will wow my husband
Posted: 10 February 2012 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2011-07-12

he really loves a moist choc cake with a thick milk chocolate frosting.  I would like to make this in my wilton heart pan for vday. Which of roses’s cakes / frosting fit this request best?  Thanks for your thoughts

Posted: 10 February 2012 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

The chocolate spike cake from the cake bible sounds a lot like what you’re describing.  The buttercream is just milk chocolate and butter, dreamy.  And the cake is dark and moist, with a hint of bitterness and flavor from brown sugar.  Does that sound like it might fit the bill?

The other cake I thought of was the Devil’s Food cake from RHC, it’s very dark and tender, and then you could frost with a chocolate buttercream (like chocolate neoclassic from the Cake Bible).

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 10 February 2012 11:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

I agree with Julie!  I was going to suggest that buttercream, as well—but be sure not to refrigerate this buttercream, as it gets hard (like a chocolate bar) and does not become creamy again.  However, it is an absolutely dream!!!!!  So amazingly delicious!

My fave cake is the Perfect All American Chocolate Butter Cake (well, really the PAACB Torte on the next page, but I don’t always like to have leftover whites).  It’s not too tender, but it’s not fudgy either.  I find it the perfect layer cake texture. 

I think the Spike that Julie recommends uses the Chocolate Fudge Cake—I haven’t made it, but I hear it’s wonderful, and it’s the fave chocolate cake of many here.

Posted: 11 February 2012 12:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1197
Joined  2009-11-24

Well I am going to have give the Spike cake a try….I do not remember it being mentioned before as a good chocolate cake choice.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 11 February 2012 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  306
Joined  2011-10-15

The chocolate fudge cake is my favourite of Rose’s chocolate butter cakes. The milk chocolate buttercream in the chocolate spike cake gives the sensation of eating a chocolate bar, which isn’t a bad thing smile,  but if you want more of a frosting consistency, you could pair this cake with a whipped milk chocolate ganache (Rose’s light whipped ganache with ~2/3 of the bittersweet chocolate replaced with milk chocolate)......I’ve made this combination and it’s delicious.

Another good choice with the chocolate fudge cake is Bill’s (mousseline) buttercream .....it has good chocolate flavour but is far less intense than the ganache or milk chocolate buttercream. Here’s the link:

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/670/#5600

Posted: 12 February 2012 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2011-07-12

Thanks for all of the above.  While I have RHC I have not purchased the CB yet.  Will do that soon.  I would like to try the choc spike cake asap.  I have made about a dozen of the selections from rhc and my family and frieds have enjoyed them all. 

happy upcoming Valentine’s Day to all.