1 of 2
quilted cake and Red Velvet
Posted: 11 February 2012 01:32 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2009-11-24

Finally around to posting the first cake in the quilted red heart pan….. in the spirit of the season.  Also, in the process of testing red velvet recipes…started with Rose’s.  I just love this pan.

Image Attachments
quilt2.jpgquiltedcake.jpg
 Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 11 February 2012 08:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

CRenee,
Beautifully done! Your piping skills are impressive. smile

Posted: 11 February 2012 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  325
Joined  2011-10-15

CRenee, your cake is lovely; your piping enhances the pattern of the cake beautifully!

Posted: 11 February 2012 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1652
Joined  2011-02-17

Just beautiful! I have to go along with everyone else-excellent piping skills.

Does 1 recipe fit that pan or did you have to increase it?

Posted: 11 February 2012 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1376
Joined  2008-09-27

The cake is beautiful, but I’m wondering if the quantity of frosting is sufficient?  Frosting clearly would tend to obscure the pattern of the cake, but most cake is rather bland without frosting.  Are we sacrificing eating experience for beauty here?

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 11 February 2012 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

OMG!  Too cute!  I only have one pan that I’ve allowed myself to purchase once it’s available here (the Nordic Ware Hertiage Bundt pan)—but now I’m thinking I may have to add another to my list! 

@CharlesT:  I think a large piped rosette of frosting served with a slice of cake would balance both the aesthetics and taste.

Posted: 11 February 2012 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Beautiful piping!!!!  So perfect for that pan!

most cake is rather bland without frosting

I dunno.  Sometimes I have a real struggle deciding which I like better.  I think both are pretty amazing.  This particular frosting pattern gives a great way to have a beautiful-looking cake, but to really enjoy the “cake bread” (as my friend’s son calls it) with light frosting “accents.”

Posted: 11 February 2012 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

smile  smile Thank you all on the compliment of the piping.  I think I am still very weak there, but am always challenged and encouraged by the work you do so I keep at it. 

Flour Girl, I used just one recipe of RHC Red Velvet.  It worked out perfectly.  I sprayed the pan with baking flour (Pillsbury) and then brushed it so it was not puddled or heavy in any spot.  As you can see came out nearly perfect. 

Charles, I agree in part.  Depending on the cake, more frosting is necessary….And, if it is Red Velvet I would have to figure out how to do it.  But as Sherrie says a piped rossette of frosting would help.  Also, there are some cakes where frosting is not used or desired…I do intend to test that.  Like pound cake.  And, of Rose’s recipes, I think Golden Almond is good with just a little frosting.  I also wonder how hard it would be to get a ganache glaze on this cake. 

Sherrie, that Heritage Bundt Pan is also in my Amazon wish list…. I really want that pan.  If I do not get it myself this year, perhaps next Christmas.  smile

Anne, there are many folks who prefer little or no frosting…especially those who have not enjoy IMBC or SMBC…. ha… because they do not know what they are missing. 

I look forward to doing a chocolate cake in this pan and coming up with some other design…but chocolate alone may suffice…. after all… chocolate

Signature 

Posted: 11 February 2012 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Renee—I agree.  I think Rose’s “cake bread” is especially delicious (and, by that, I mean any of her butter cakes, not just pound cakes and other cakes designed to be baked in bread pans). When hubby still ate cake, I’d always make a mini loaf so we could have slices of her cakes unfrosted.  Then I’d also make a mini one with frosting.  Both so good—hard to decide!!  I think you made the perfecdt “middle ground” design—assuming the “cake bread” of this particular cake is yummy.

Mmmmm, with chocolate, you could simply fill the “recevoir” with a nice salted caramel and then drizzle with chocolate.  Maybe pipe hazelnut neoclassic around the outside like you did in the 1st pic?

But, as you say, chocolate is quite happy all by its lonesome!

Posted: 12 February 2012 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1652
Joined  2011-02-17

I don’t know if this would be appropriate for your cake but I have cake recipes which use sauces as an accompaniment, either on the side or around the cake. I actually have recipes for raspberry, strawberry or vanilla sauces which might work for you.

Posted: 12 February 2012 12:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1376
Joined  2008-09-27

What about placing the cake in a bed of frosting?  Frosting on the bottom, in other words.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 12 February 2012 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

Gorgeous cake!  I’m amazed at how perfect both the crust of the cake and your piping are! smile  Looking forward to seeing the chocolate when you make that smile

I love chocolate cake without frosting, or cake (like the golden almond or golden lemon almond) with fruit instead of frosting.  Rose’s fruit purees (Cake Bible) make wonderful sauces.

And cake without frosting is great for breakfast!  red face

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 12 February 2012 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
CharlesT - 12 February 2012 04:53 AM

What about placing the cake in a bed of frosting?  Frosting on the bottom, in other words.

That is creative…... I think that would be great.

Signature 

Posted: 12 February 2012 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Flour Girl - 12 February 2012 04:43 AM

I don’t know if this would be appropriate for your cake but I have cake recipes which use sauces as an accompaniment, either on the side or around the cake. I actually have recipes for raspberry, strawberry or vanilla sauces which might work for you.

that is an idea that will work for some flavors of cake.

Signature 

Posted: 12 February 2012 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

I like this idea, too!  You could make the frosting in a heart shape on waxed paper and put nuts all over the top of it, and then refrigerate it.  When it’s hard, you could flip it over so the nuts are on the bottom, then let it thaw and put the cake on it.  This way, when you removed a piece of the cake, the nuts would prevent it (in theory) from sticking to the server!

Upside down chocolate cake!  Love it, CT!

Posted: 12 February 2012 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2011-09-03

Ooooooo this cake is so pretty! I love the pattern and how you chose to frost it. I agree a rosette of frosting served with it would be a great solution for those who would like more, and how pretty would that be?

At one time I worked in a restaurant that, depending upon the cake would either do a frosting smear on the plate, or sauce the plate and place the cake on top. Their plating was pretty and it worked well to allow the diner to pick up as much or as little as they wanted.

1 of 2