Tyrolean Ten-Grain Torpedo
Posted: 11 February 2012 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-02-11

I am curious - would it be possible to bake this bread in a loaf pan instead of a torpedo?  What changes should I make?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Posted: 11 February 2012 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1357
Joined  2008-09-27
brown_9ft4x - 11 February 2012 02:37 PM

I am curious - would it be possible to bake this bread in a loaf pan instead of a torpedo?

Certainly.  I’d lower the temperature, since it will take longer for the middle to get done.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 12 February 2012 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-02-11

Thank you for the reply.  Since I am very new to all this - any thoughts about how much to reduce the temperature by and how long to extend the baking time?

Posted: 12 February 2012 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27

Most loaf breads are enriched in some way, sugar, milk, eggs, butter, etc, and these aid in browning, so the typical temperature is 350.  The Tyrolean isn’t enriched, so it won’t be as sensitive to the temperature.  Since the torpedo recipe gives a temperature of 450, perhaps splitting the difference is a good start, maybe 400.  Possibly a decent comparison is Rose’s Flaxseed loaf, which gives a temperature of 375, but it does contain a little honey.

If the bread doesn’t overbrown, you might boost the temperature 25 degrees next time.  Be sure to check the internal temperature until you get the temperature right.

Let us know how it works!

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 15 February 2012 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-02-11

Charles -

Thanks for the input - it was very helpful! 

As you suggested, I lowered the temperature to 400 and ended up increasing the bake time an extra 10 minutes.  I will say that this was the best loaf of bread I have made yet - it didn’t last two days…..  My plan is to try again this weekend for dinner with a group of friends with a visit to the local health food store for complete seeds/grain mix is happening tomorrow!

Your help and input is very much appreciated!

Posted: 15 February 2012 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27

Congratulations on your success!  Thanks for reporting back; it keeps us from offering bad advice more than once.  grin

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach