First time wedding cake
Posted: 17 February 2012 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2009-10-01

I’m doing my first wedding cake! It’s for a friend’s son’s wedding. It’s not a really big one (they’re expecting around 90-100 people), so it’s a good first experience for me. I was going to do 10, 8 and 4 inch squares stacked, but they just changed it to rounds since they have a round cake plate they’d like it on. I’ll need to figure out the rounds equivalent for that, but it’ll still likely be three tiers stacked.

What I could use some help with from you guys here is how to stage this so it is a really nice, professional wedding cake. The cake will be covered in red fondant with white scroll-type piping on it. I’ll probably cover the board with the fondant as well. Keeping in mind that both their budget and mine are limited, what are other things that you’d recommend to make this look more like a wedding cake instead of just a nice cake on a cake plate?

Posted: 17 February 2012 09:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-01

First off, I apologize for double posting this! In trying to post this the first time while keeping track of my kids, I mistakenly posted it in the Kitchen Chatter forum instead here, where I originally intended it to be. I figure that more of the cake people look at this forum more than the other one, so I’m putting it here.

I?m doing my first wedding cake! It?s for a friend?s son?s wedding. It?s not a really big one (they?re expecting around 90-100 people), so it?s a good first experience for me. I was going to do 10, 8 and 4 inch squares stacked, but they just changed it to rounds since they have a round cake plate they?d like it on. I?ll need to figure out the rounds equivalent for that, but it?ll still likely be three tiers stacked.

What I could use some help with from you guys here is how to stage this so it is a really nice, professional wedding cake. The cake will be covered in red fondant with white scroll-type piping on it. I?ll probably cover the board with the fondant as well. Keeping in mind that both their budget and mine are limited, what are other things that you?d recommend to make this look more like a wedding cake instead of just a nice cake on a cake plate?

Image Attachments
damaskcake.jpg

Posted: 17 February 2012 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  596
Joined  2007-11-27

How much experience do you have with putting fondant on cakes, and when is the wedding?

You can purchase pre-colored red fondant from Satin Ice or Cal-Java (Fondarific);  I have worked with the Satin Ice brand and find it to dry *very* quickly and the red color will show all the cracks caused by drying.  In some cases you can smooth over the fondant with very lightly sprayed (pan release) hands and the oils from your hands will help to minimize the tiny cracks that will form as the fondant goes over the edge of the cake.  If you are making your own rolled fondant, you’d need so much red coloring that the fondant will go slack before you can get the right shade.  I have never worked with marshmallow fondant so this might be worth exploring.

When the cake is served, you might want to suggest that they remove the red fondant from the slices; people who eat it may have red teeth and tongues for a little while; this is a lot of fun at kids birthday parties but not so much at a wedding wink

As for sizing, when I have a cake for 100; I go with a 13/10/7 round, and serve the entire cake; make them a fresh anniversary cake a year later or bake another 7” round and you will have enough for everyone.

Good luck!  Keep us posted, and welcome to the forums!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 17 February 2012 11:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-01

Fortunately, I’ve had a fair amount of experience with fondant. I normally make my own marshmallow fondant, but you’re very right about the color, so I’ll be using Satin Ice’s red (I’ll just have to be sure to work quickly). I hadn’t thought of the red staining teeth, so I’ll be sure to pass that on - thanks! Mostly what I’m thinking of is how to stage it. I usually just make the cake and give it to whomever ordered it. I’d guess a ribbon around the base would probably be good, but what else can I do (inexpensively, hopefully) that will help it look more like a wedding cake instead of just a nice cake. How much am I supposed to provide and how much by the wedding party? Lots of pictures of wedding cakes have settings involving fabric draping and the like. Any other suggestions?

Posted: 18 February 2012 12:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  670
Joined  2012-01-12

How are you going to color this Red ?  red is (almost) impossible to color on FOndant UNLESS you use air brush..  Did they specify piped scrolling ?  Using stancil like the Damask design is very easy, fast and very elegant looking..

Maybe add some white roses.  It will stand out since the background is red.  This photo is decorated w/ Damask stencil.. good luck.  smile

Image Attachments
damaskcake.jpg

Posted: 18 February 2012 01:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Use a Damask stencil:

Posted: 18 February 2012 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  596
Joined  2007-11-27

Usually the linens on the cake table are provided by the venue or through the caterer, so it may not be something you have to worry about.  If there are to be fresh flowers on the cake, they can be arranged/ordered through the florist so they are the same type of flowers used throughout the wedding; you would just need to provide the dimensions and perhaps a photo so they can have the right amount of flowers for the cake, or enough petals for the cake table.

The red color is definitely unusual and will be dramatic, I think it will depend on what else is in the room; you don’t necessarily want a bold, bright cake in a room with all champagne/beige/gold; but if they are using rich colors, an all red cake would fit in and be fine.  If the room is sleek and modern, you don’t want an overly decorated cake; if the room is ornate, a simple cake (all red with a single large white flower on the middle tier?) would be perfect.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 18 February 2012 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1174
Joined  2009-11-24
Jeanne - 18 February 2012 01:02 PM

Usually the linens on the cake table are provided by the venue or through the caterer, so it may not be something you have to worry about.  If there are to be fresh flowers on the cake, they can be arranged/ordered through the florist so they are the same type of flowers used throughout the wedding; you would just need to provide the dimensions and perhaps a photo so they can have the right amount of flowers for the cake, or enough petals for the cake table.

The red color is definitely unusual and will be dramatic, I think it will depend on what else is in the room; you don’t necessarily want a bold, bright cake in a room with all champagne/beige/gold; but if they are using rich colors, an all red cake would fit in and be fine.  If the room is sleek and modern, you don’t want an overly decorated cake; if the room is ornate, a simple cake (all red with a single large white flower on the middle tier?) would be perfect.

useful tips, Jeanne, thank you

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 18 February 2012 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

A wedding cake is a one time thing.  Less is not always more.  Flowers are always a good thing.  Besides the bride and groom,  the wedding cake is the center piece at the reception.  Expensve or not,  make it memorble and not forgetable.  Its one of those things that if people love what they see,  they will talk about it.

ALso,  do you have everything you need in stacking these tiers ?  the dowels, plastic tubings and everything ?  that is another thing that is very important.

Transporting can be nerve wracking too.

Posted: 03 April 2012 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-01

I don’t get on here as often as I’d like, but I wanted to say thanks for the help and share that the cake went over really well! My friend (the groom’s mother) just did a very basic set-up on the table, to match the rest of the tables, so that made it much easier for me. And I can say I learned a few things from this. First off, I’ll NEVER use Satin Ice for another big job again. I’ve used it for smaller jobs, and it’s been great. But the big middle tier was an absolute nightmare. I tried a few times to cover it the usual way (rolled out, lifted over the top and smoothed down), but it just kept tearing apart. I ended up having to roll it around the outside horizontally, with a great big vertical seam. In true decorator fashion, I had to get creative to cover it, hence the two white ribbons going down the sides. Otherwise, It worked out well and I’m happy with the end result. I’ve also learned that syruping is great! I’ve done it a few times now and always get nervous about it and fear that it’ll end up a great big gooey mess, but it’s kept the cakes moist and made people comment on it, so yay! That’s about all I have time for right now, but thanks again for the tips and help!

Image Attachments
wedding cake.jpg