Ice Cream Cookbook
Posted: 01 June 2008 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-06-01

Hello all,

I have used Rose’s recipes for ice cream in the P+PB many times, and I love the recipes. I’m looking to expand my recipe base. I’m looking for recommendations for some great ice cream cookbooks, perhaps books that are devoted solely to that topic.

Any Ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Megan
Santa Fe, NM

PS. You can make cherry ice cream if you make a dried cherry puree by simmering dried tart cherries in red wine until they are plumped, allow to cool, then puree. Go to Rose’s Pineapple Ice Cream recipe in the P+PB and substitute purees according. It’s quite tasty. Use cherry brandy for the alcohol.

Posted: 01 June 2008 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2008-04-28

Hi Megan,

Try “The Perfect Scoop” by David Leibowitz.
Every recipe of his I have ever tried recently works first time and is delicious!

Posted: 03 June 2008 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2008-04-28

Hector: YUM! I agree Gelato is just superb (I’m drooling thinking of my last visit to Florence!!)

Gene: I love Licorice icecream but it’s hard to come by…just did a search and found these recipes though - have you tried any like them and if so what was your result?

One using melted Licorice

White One Using Anise  *

One using Pernod

Whilst on the subject of black Icecream (!!) I also love Black sesame icecream after an Asian meal… something really satisfying about the nutty/sweet/buttery texture!

Posted: 06 June 2008 03:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-06-01

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  I’m going to start with the ultimate ice cream cookbook to start.  I have the ultimate frozen dessert book and I love it.  Semifreddo is worth the effort if you’ve never made it.

Megan

PS.  I made ginger ice cream the other day by adding 2 T fresh ginger to the triple vanilla recipe in the P+PB

Posted: 23 June 2008 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-06-01

Hey everyone.  I’m enjoying the recipes in Bruce Weinstein’s Ultimate Ice Cream Book.  However, I’ve noticed that many of the recipes have corn starch in them.  Corn starch is typicaly used as a thickener.  In ice cream, the lecythin in the egg yolks thicken the custard. 

Has anyone made ice cream with corn starch?  Is the mouth feel different than one without corn starch?

Thanks,
Megan
Santa Fe

Posted: 28 November 2010 06:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-11-28

yes, Italian gelato is non comparable! but I have just ordered one of the ice cream makers, my cousin is using one, her kids love ice cream… I am really curious if it will work. I am afraid it will be too good!

Signature 

http://besticecreammakers.blogspot.com