Best complement for Raspberry Mousseline Buttercream?
Posted: 21 February 2012 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2012-01-14

I’m making a wedding cake, and I’m looking for the right filling to pair with raspberry mousseline…

The chocolate tiers will be chocolate cake, coffee mousseline buttercream, and chocolate ganache (the layers split and filled with ganache, and the buttercream in between the layers…I made it this past weekend, and it was pretty amazing smile ), but I’m a little stuck with the vanilla tiers. I definitely want to use raspberry mousseline, but I’m not sure about what to fill the layers with…I thought maybe lemon curd, but then I thought that might compete with the buttercream…white chocolate ganache, maybe?

Any and all ideas appreciated!

Thanks,

Sarah

Posted: 21 February 2012 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2010-12-29

I made the white velvet cake with vanilla bean and alternated layers of raspberry neoclassic buttercream and white chocolate pastry cream.  It was delicious!!  I ran out of cake because everyone had seconds!

Posted: 21 February 2012 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  920
Joined  2009-05-25

I made a white butter cake with white chocolate mouselline on the exterior and it was filled with raspberry neoclassic—a nice combo.  Although, I find Mouselline very rich and usually just use it for frosting, not filling.  What about doing 2 layers of curd and one of the raspberry mouselline.  Or…you could do a lemon curd mouselline that is flavoured with the curd, but not so intense.  Will the cake have a pink exterior or are you coating the raspberry mouselline with ganache?  Sounds yummy!  Love to see pics of the completed project!

Posted: 21 February 2012 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2012-01-14

White chocolate pastry cream sounds delicious—do you think it would hold up well if I froze the filled (and maybe masked) cake, and then thawed it before stacking and icing? (because this wedding is in a far-flung destination, it requires some complicated freezing/travel plans/whatever, so it’s complicating my options a little bit…

Sherrie—the cake will have a white mousseline exterior, so the chocolate and vanilla tiers will look the same from the outside. My sister (it’s her wedding) is pretty set on raspberry for the filling on the vanilla layers, though I agree that lemon curd mousseline sounds delicious! Do you think that lemon curd would compete with the raspberry mousseline? I’m worried that two strong flavors would be too much—what I like so much about the ganache for the chocolate tiers is that it just kind of intensifies the cake.

As far as neoclassic vs mousseline goes, I chose mousseline for the outside because it’s an outdoor summer wedding, and I need it to be sturdy, but it hadn’t even occurred to me that I might fill with another buttercream—does neoclassic make a better filling, and would it hold up as well to freezing and thawing?

Thanks!

Posted: 21 February 2012 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

The neoclassic will be fine for freezing/thawing.  It isn’t as stable as mouselline in hot conditions, but if you have reasonable conditions, it likely would be fine.  It’s egg yolk based, so it’s a great way to use up yolks from mouselline if you choose to use it for the outside.  I’m not totally clear what you’d like to do.  If you want to fill with raspberry mouselline and frost with a white chocolate mouselline, that would be delicious.  Adding more flavours can get a bit much, but I think an additional layer of a lemon mouselline would be fine.  That said, why not do a test cake.  You could do up a batch of plain mouselline and then split up into 3—do one raspberry, one white chocolate, and one lemon curd and then compose a 6” cake as you are thinking and test out. 

I do find the neoclassic is a little more filling like for a cake—it’s not as buttery as the mouselline—which I love in it’s own way, I just find it very rich!  The inside of a cake takes a lot longer to warm up than the outside, so unless it’s going to be outside for 5+ hours and in hot conditions, the neoclassic should be ok.  So without knowing more, I can’t definitively say what would be best.  You don’t want to pull a frozen cake out and set it in hot humid conditions or you will end up with a sweaty cake!!!

Posted: 22 February 2012 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

In my opinion, a straight lemon curd might overpower raspberry mousseline.  Pastry cream with a light lemon flavoring might be nice, but you would need to be sure it’s freezable, as many cornstarch versions are not.  Flour versions normally freeze well. A Bavarian or Chiboust would be even better, stabilized with gelatin and a little lighter than pastry cream.  Or if you need th stability of buttercream, the silk meringue in vanilla or lemon would give some custard flavor with buttercream stability.  Almond would also be lovely with raspberry and vanilla.

Hope you’ll post pics!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 22 February 2012 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Sorry…I meant to add lemon curd mouselline to my previous post—I too think a curd may be too much, but mixed with a buttercream would help.