pairings for white cake with a raspberry curd
Posted: 22 February 2012 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2011-05-15

So im planning on using the white whisper cake and i have some raspberry ganache i made that i really want to use up.. on the other hand i love the raspberry cloud cream and the raspberry mousseline….any idea which direction i should go in? =)

Also .i made the chocolate pralien silk meringue and for the first time used my spanking new thermapen to measure. for some strange reason the silk meringue got soft and when u started applyign fondant to it , it all kinda got squished together.. the cake in question was a german chocolate… is the silk meringue not as stable as mousseline? or did i do somethign wrong?

Posted: 22 February 2012 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Re: the silk meringue, buttercreams get spongy after they sit for a while, which is nice to eat (they still hold their shape) but you can no longer manipulate them.  Hence the need to re-beat and restore the texture after storing.  So my first thought was that maybe the buttercream sat out long enough after putting it on the cake to become spongy.  Do you think that could be it?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 23 February 2012 01:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-15

hmm it took me some time to fill and frost and yes u are right by the frosting time it did look a lil spongy but it never occurred to me that that might be why its become so soft.. Howevr which of rose s buttercreams are the most stable under fondant?

Posted: 23 February 2012 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

I’ve never used fondant, but in general the mousseline is the most stable.  Even mousseline will turn spongy if left to sit on the frosted cake long enough, it’s just what buttercreams do.

Re: the silk meringue, it may have needed to be whisked (by hand is fine) a bit while you were working with it, especially if you were taking your time to frost the cake. 

Re: the chocolate praline silk meringue- isn’t it one of the all-time most dreamy buttercreams?  I love the stuff, and I’m not even a big buttercream fan.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 08 March 2012 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2011-09-03

Fill it with the raspberry ganache and frost with the raspberry mousseline! YUM!!!

Posted: 11 March 2012 01:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-15

Hey georgie i did end up doing this in the end =) Whilst each of the components were great on its own with the cake.IE the ganache with the cake and the mousseline with the cake.. Somehow all together it was a lil too distracting. The chocolate ganache overwhelmed the cake and the mousseline together ...