Which of Roses’s cakes would be best suited to make Cake Pops
Posted: 23 February 2012 06:27 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2010-08-01

Hi Everybody!!

For a kid’s activity, we have chosen to do Cake Pops…which of Roses’s cakes (frm either books-Cake Bible and Heavenly Cakes) would be best suited to make cake pops and what could the buttercream option be? Kindly suggest. Thanks.

Posted: 23 February 2012 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  325
Joined  2011-10-15

Hi Sharon, any of Rose’s butter layer cakes would be suitable: red velvet, all occasion yellow downy, white velvet, chocolate fudge or all american chocolate butter cake would all work well. I wouldn’t recommend sponge type cakes or cakes that have chopped nuts etc in them ......the latter will make the shaping a little trickier. For the buttercream, Mousseline, classic, neoclassic and creamy dreamy would work well.

As far as the flavours are concerned. a combination that has a lot of impact when bitten into is the red velvet cake with the cream cheese buttercream (made with either white chocolate or powdered sugar) dipped in melted white wafers. This flavour also seems to appeal to a lot of people because it’s neither chocolate nor vanilla. For any other combinations, just keep in mind what the finished colour might be when the cake is mixed with the frosting….you don’t want to combine a vanilla cake with chocolate frosting (though you can do chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream)

Have you made them before? Bakerella has excellent instructions on shaping, freezing, dipping, decorating etc on her blog.

Good luck with this….it sounds like a lot of fun!

Posted: 23 February 2012 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2010-02-24

Hi Sharon, I agree any of the butter cakes would work well as cake pops.  I keep saying I am going to make cake pops but haven’t gotten a chance.  Please let us know what you choose and how it works out.

Posted: 24 February 2012 03:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-08-01

Dear Sophia

Thanks for the suggestions….I have so many to choose frm, smile..nice tip to suggest to keep in mind what the finished colour might be when the cake is mixed with the frosting..I want to make mine look super neat and I will be dipping them in melted Chocolate..yep, have cheked Bakerella’s blog on Cake pops, most of them so detailed.

Yes Kathy, will let you know how it goes with pictures…the activity is in April so I have time to practise b4 the final show!

Posted: 14 May 2012 06:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-08-01

Reporting back on the Cake Pops:

I used the Chocolate cake recipe frm Joy of Baking which is like a fail proof recipe for me….worked great. I first tried a Chocolate buttercream which uses raw eggs and the pairing just din feel right,...so I changed the buttercream and added a Fudge icing to the cake and it turned out right.

Had no after taste of any sort.

I did crumble up the cake but made sure not to squash it too much lest the texture suffer…but I guess for a pop, the texture of a cake does get affected.

Wish I could show you pix as promised, somebody else took the pix, and am waiting to get my hands on them to post it on Forum.

Thanks everybody for helping out, it was a sight to see them once they were made.

Posted: 14 May 2012 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  325
Joined  2011-10-15

Chocolate cake and fudge frosting….yum smile

I’m glad everything worked out well….am looking forward to the pictures!