Refrigerating Cakes
Posted: 23 February 2012 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

Quick Question. if i have a cake to be eaten sunday, can I make it friday and put it in the fridge?
I dont want to DECORATE it till saturday (i dont have too much time on sat to bake AND decorate) so can i put unfrosted cake in the fridge or should i cover it first?

Posted: 23 February 2012 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  325
Joined  2011-10-15
SweetNess14445 - 23 February 2012 07:50 PM

Quick Question. if i have a cake to be eaten sunday, can I make it friday and put it in the fridge?
I dont want to DECORATE it till saturday (i dont have too much time on sat to bake AND decorate) so can i put unfrosted cake in the fridge or should i cover it first?

The unfrosted cake can be refrigerated well wrapped in plastic wrap or in an airtight container, but you may want to consider syrupping it (if it isn’t already) if it’s not to be served until Sunday.

Posted: 23 February 2012 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

thats what i am trying to avoid (syruping).....it wont stay moist if i wrap it and frost it on sat?

Posted: 23 February 2012 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  718
Joined  2012-01-12

The plastic wrap will keep the moisture in.  It will be dry if it is in the fridge unwrapped,  like any other bake food.  You can actually frost and decorate it as long as it is in the fridge… Those cakes you see in the shops are not made the same day they sell them..  Some huge cakes like wedding cakes can be made a week ahead, as long as it is well chilled.  Cake does not go bad quickly.  It will take weeks b4 that happens.

Posted: 23 February 2012 09:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  325
Joined  2011-10-15

SweetNess14445, provided you’re starting with a moist cake (I don’t what recipe you’re using), well wrapped and refrigerated for 1 day, then decorated, wrapped and refrigerated until Sunday should help in retaining its moisture. Syrupping is not absolutely necessary, just added insurance smile

Posted: 23 February 2012 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

ok great. I just dont usually refrig cakes, i usually bake and frost in one day if possible so thats why i have all these questions. Apparently i forgot everything i knew.

Posted: 24 February 2012 12:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

wrapping a decorated cake ?  its got to be very loose wrapping otherwise the decorations will be ruined.

Decorated cakes should not be wrapped.  The icing on the outside acts as the “shield”  or “shell” which will make the cake stay moist.

Posted: 24 February 2012 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

no im not wrapping a decorated cake

I meant to say that i usually bake and decorate the cake in the same day so i never have this problem.

But i did make my cake today and i wrapped it in plastic wrap and its siting in the fridge….tomorrow is decorating day. Now lets see if i forgot how to make mousseline>

Posted: 24 February 2012 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Good for you.  Wrapping a decorated cake do not make sense at all..  Good luck smile  show us the finished cake.. I would love to see it..