Another Red Velvet Raspberry Question
Posted: 23 February 2012 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-11-24

Actually, it is primarily a Raspberry Frosting question.  This is the requested cake: 

Two-layer Red Velvet Cake (one layer White Velvet and the other layer Red Velvet).,  Raspberry Buttercream filling in-between the layers, Raspberry Whipped Cream on the outside just to be different.  Raspberry Puree in-between the layers, Fresh Raspberry on top.

So obviously the person wants Raspberry Buttercream and Puree betwen the layers.  I am prepared to make Raspberry Mousselline.  So, I am wondering which TCB or RHC recipe is best for a Raspberry Whipped Cream Frosting to go on the outside of the cake.  I mean which frosts easiest and is most stable.  I recall Jenn indicated that the RHC Raspberry Whipped Cream is her favorite, but I am not sure why. 

(I know this is an odd combo - Red Velvet and Raspberry -  but that was the request.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 23 February 2012 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15
CRenee - 23 February 2012 07:58 PM

Actually, it is primarily a Raspberry Frosting question. 

So, I am wondering which TCB or RHC recipe is best for a Raspberry Whipped Cream Frosting to go on the outside of the cake.  I mean which frosts easiest and is most stable.  I recall Jenn indicated that the RHC Raspberry Whipped Cream is her favorite, but I am not sure why.

CRenee, do you mean the Raspberry Jam Whipped Cream or the Raspberry Cream trifle topping rom RHC ?  Without gelatin, these won’t be as stable as the cloud cream from TCB. I’ve only made the cloud cream (it’s very easy to work with), so I don’t have a preference flavour-wise, but I imagine the flavour of the RHC whipped creams depend completely on the quality of jam/preserves used.

CRenee - 23 February 2012 07:58 PM

I know this is an odd combo - Red Velvet and Raspberry -  but that was the request.

Actually, it’s not an odd combination at all…..the berries are a wonderful complement to the cake. I like to put the fresh berries between the layers as well as on the top.

Posted: 23 February 2012 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Sophia,

Thank you, Sophia, I was thinking of the Raspberry Jam Whipped Cream used with the Almond Shamah Chiffon in RHC.  So far, it sounds like the Raspberry Cloud Cleam in TCB is more stable?

Signature 

Posted: 23 February 2012 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15

CRenee, you could stabilize the Raspberry Jam whipped cream by adding gelatin, perhaps 3/4 tsp-1tsp per cup of cream ........the jam is probably stable enough on its own that it doesn’t need additional help from gelatin. I’m basing this estimate on some of Rose’s other recipes: .83 tsp gelatin/cup of liquid for the cloud cream; 1/2 tsp-1 tsp gelatin/cup cream for super-stabilized whipped cream.

Posted: 23 February 2012 08:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Sophia - 24 February 2012 12:21 AM

CRenee, you could stabilize the Raspberry Jam whipped cream by adding gelatin, perhaps 3/4 tsp-1tsp per cup of cream ........the jam is probably stable enough on its own that it doesn’t need additional help from gelatin. I’m basing this estimate on some of Rose’s other recipes: .83 tsp gelatin/cup of liquid for the cloud cream; 1/2 tsp-1 tsp gelatin/cup cream for super-stabilized whipped cream.

Thank you, Sophia.  I think I will give this a try.  And, on another day try the fruit cloud in TCB.

Signature 

Posted: 23 February 2012 08:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15

I hope you post photos of the finished cake….it sounds as though it will be very pretty. smile

Posted: 24 February 2012 12:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Sophia - 24 February 2012 12:46 AM

I hope you post photos of the finished cake….it sounds as though it will be very pretty. smile

I will.  I expect to have a photo of the composed cake…..but not a slice unless the owner sends one to me.  Here is my completed Puree.  I really need a food mill!!!

Image Attachments
RaspberryPuree_011S.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 24 February 2012 01:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2011-05-15

its not an odd combo at all actually… i ve once tasted the most divine red velvet strawberry combo and it even had chocolate ganache frosting to boot. Was scrumptious… as im sure yours will be =)
And i don have a foodmill either but what i do is, use my finest tea strainer..it takes forever but absolutely no seeds =) smoothest puree ever

Posted: 24 February 2012 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
chocoholic - 24 February 2012 05:33 AM

its not an odd combo at all actually… i ve once tasted the most divine red velvet strawberry combo and it even had chocolate ganache frosting to boot. Was scrumptious… as im sure yours will be =)
And i don have a foodmill either but what i do is, use my finest tea strainer..it takes forever but absolutely no seeds =) smoothest puree ever

Interesting…  The strainer I use seems to work—just takes forever.  Guess what.  I mistakenly put coconut extract in the cake batter (picked up wrong bottle)...... Of course, I needed to bake layer again….but the coconut Red Velvet is delicious!!!  LOL

Signature 

Posted: 24 February 2012 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

This may be a bit late- sorry! 

Re:  comparing the cloud cream with the jam cream- if the jam has enough pectin, it should be as stable as the (gelatin-stabilized) cloud cream.  The taste difference is that the jam cream has a cooked fruit taste and the cloud cream has a fresh fruit taste.  I prefer the cloud cream for its fresh taste, but both are wonderful smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe