1 of 2
What recipe would you like to see in Rose’s new Baking Bible?
Posted: 25 February 2012 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2010-12-29

Ok, so quite an open topic but I am getting excited about her new book!!  I love all of her other books and this one is sure to please.  I hope that in her new book she likens it to TCB.  I really liked how the recipe stated how much was made and the storing conditions.  The recipe I would like to see would have to be…trifles.  I love them, they are such a holiday staple but I have exhausted my creativity towards creating new combinations.  Oh, I would also like a really good lemon layer cake.  I love the sour cream poppyseed lemon cake from RHC but I would like a layer cake that didn’t have to be syruped.

What would you like in the new cookbook?

Posted: 25 February 2012 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

This should be a fun topic…I would love to hear what others would like!

I would love to see Rose’s take on Opera Cake and Dobos Torte. These are both on my “to make” list but I’ve hesitated because they are so labour intensive. I’d be more prepared to try them if I had Rose walking me through the steps. Perhaps a Kugelhopf/sweet yeast cake recipe (that doesn’t require syrup) as well…

Posted: 25 February 2012 09:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24

- I would like to see the side notes (length at room temp, etc.) return as from TCB. 
- a rum cake similar to the Bacardi rum cake made from box but from scratch
- I agree a lemon layer cake would be great. 
- bread pudding (or have I missed something from one of her other books)

Well, I suppose I have to think on this some more.  I am sure I will love the book whatever is in it.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 25 February 2012 10:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25

Great Topic!  I am on a personal quest for:
1)  Chewy chocolate chip cookie (plain..no nuts)
2)  Oatmeal Raisin Cookie—chewy but outside crisp
3)  Cinnamon Roll (not a sticky bun)—I’ve never had a cinnabon, but I suppose something like them.  One that retains a buttery gooey filling and a less rich bread than brioche.
4)  A dense, ultramoist, dark chocolate cake.  I always envision with a crackled top—probably the closest in her books so far is the Miette Tomboy. 
5)  More whole grain bread recipes.
6)  Swiss Meringue buttercream.
7)  A dietary restrictions section (Dairy free, gluten free, etc.—but this is asking the world grin

I too would love the return of the side notes from PPB and TCB.  Also, final temperatures for cakes, cheesecakes, etc.  Even if there are other cues to test for doneness, the temperature is a measurable way of testing for doneness.  As far as a good lemon cake, I have made the Lemon Chiffon from TCB and baked as a layer cake as per the Orange Layer Chiffon in RHC —delicious!  I think this will be a great book for starting bakers as I think a baking book is far less intimidating than a whole book on cakes or pastry!

Posted: 26 February 2012 12:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Would love to see internal temperatures for every baked good smile

I’ve been longing for a brioche/panettone recipe that separates into strands- had one several years ago and have been wanting to recreate it ever since.  It was leaps and bounds better than any other brioche-type recipe I had previously encountered.

I’m sure I’ll think of more, but that’s a start!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 26 February 2012 01:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2011-05-15

a butterscotch cake of sorts !  some sort of entremet? id love to see what she creates. chocolate mousse ! a strawberry cake !!

Posted: 26 February 2012 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
chocoholic - 26 February 2012 05:25 AM

a butterscotch cake of sorts !  some sort of entremet? id love to see what she creates. chocolate mousse ! a strawberry cake !!

A strawberry cake yes!!!  I wanted to create a neopolitan cake recently and could not figure out how to strawberry cake…most everything I found used a box mix and gelatin. 

A super moist chocolate butter cake. —My favorite (and most popular) chocolate cake is from Food and Wine (years ago).

Signature 

Posted: 26 February 2012 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2010-03-20

I would like to see a strawberry cake or a Neapolitan cake.

What I have in mind is something like this (Neapolitan):
http://sweetapolita.com/2011/01/neapolitan-5-layer-birthday-cake-with-strawberry-frosting/

and like this (strawberry):
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/simply-delicious-strawberry-cake-recipe/index.html

The latter one uses a cake mix but it is very popular with great reviews.

I think this is a great topic. I think Rose should have asked us this question since we are the ones who are going to be buying her book, but she didn’t… oh well.

Posted: 27 February 2012 12:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Yes I think the recipes are already decided.

Signature 

Posted: 27 February 2012 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

I would like to see some comfort food baking like buckles and coffee cakes. Nothing fancy, just good baking for the family. Some savory recipes would be nice too. And recipes using different flours such as whole wheat, coconut, etc.

Posted: 20 March 2012 01:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-03-13

Hi,

I would love to see recipes for cakes that are gluten free. There are so many people that need gluten free but would love to have cakes.

Posted: 20 March 2012 02:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2010-03-20

I’m afraid that all of our wishes are falling on deaf ears!!

Posted: 22 March 2012 11:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  153
Joined  2007-11-21

I would like to see Woody’s Lemon Luxury Layer Cake included, WLLC as it is now known. Awesome. smile

Signature 

http://bakingsorceressapprentice.blogspot.com

Posted: 23 March 2012 03:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2011-10-21

Yes! I agree rose’s take on the opera and dobos torte as well as entremets would be great!

Posted: 23 May 2012 04:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2012-04-26

Very tall cake! Something taller than 5 inch in a single layer, no stacks pls! smile

Posted: 28 June 2012 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  185
Joined  2012-05-23

Somethin new that nobody saw before and keep up with this good conception! smile

Signature 

The way to man’s heart is trough his stomach!

Franchise Takeaway

1 of 2