cake bible reviews and suggestions ?
Posted: 26 February 2012 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2012-02-26

I have just bought the cake bible and was wondering if i have to follow every recipe step by step as some of reviews suggested on amazon.Any suggestions as to what should I first try out from the book.

Posted: 26 February 2012 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2007-11-27

If you are new to baking and dessert-making, you should follow each step carefully.  This will help increase your confidence as you learn what things look like at various stages.

If you’re a pro, you know what you can skip and what you should not (e.g., pouring the hot sugar syrup into a glass measure when making some of the buttercreams - you can pour directly from the pot into the mixer in a slow steady stream; but you would be courting disaster if you did not follow the mixing instructions for the cakes and did not measure or weigh carefully).

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 27 February 2012 03:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-02-26

when i start baking from her book ill try to follow everythin.Ive been baking cakes for a long time but its now that i wanna try out different types of frosting’s ,hope it turns out to be tasty

Posted: 27 February 2012 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1197
Joined  2009-11-24

I agree with Jeanne… if you are new follow each step carefully.  Also, if you are new start with a recipe that does not have as many different parts.  Also, if you are new one of the butter cakes may be easiest.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 27 February 2012 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

I agree with the others—Rose can do things a little differently than most recipes—not more difficult, just different—and her results are so good!  I’d try them “as written,” and then, if you want to modify, go from there.

Posted: 28 February 2012 03:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-02-26

thank you so much…..ive just been reading her book..i will try baking a cake from her book on sunday

Posted: 28 February 2012 06:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2011-09-03

I agree with everyone else- follow Rose’s instructions, at least starting out.

You mentioned being interested in new frostings. Recommendations depends on what you’re looking for in a frosting. I think we all have our favorites here grin The classic and neo-classic are rich in a wonderful way. Although they can be piped, they are the softest. Neo-Classic may be the easiest. The Silk Meringues (my fave!) are custard-y and can be piped.  The mousseline is light and pipes beautifully.

Whichever frosting you choose, I’d suggest watching your temperatures carefully. You really can’t go wrong with any of Rose’s frostings. I never thought I liked frosting until I discovered Rose’s. Now I have my teeny tiny freezer stuffed full of it.. and little else. Who needs veggies when you can have Caramel Silk Meringue??

Posted: 29 February 2012 12:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-02-26

thanks a lot…....I am new to frostings….will try them out soon…..have been reading bout her frostings on this forum…...i just hope i get it rite…..i think ill try out the classic and neo classic ones…and later go to silk merignue and mousseline and post the questions i have,  and im soo happy that this forum exists , can ask if anything goes wrong and take the corrective measures

Posted: 29 February 2012 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1197
Joined  2009-11-24
Georgie - 28 February 2012 10:51 AM

I agree with everyone else- follow Rose’s instructions, at least starting out.

You mentioned being interested in new frostings. Recommendations depends on what you’re looking for in a frosting. I think we all have our favorites here grin The classic and neo-classic are rich in a wonderful way. Although they can be piped, they are the softest. Neo-Classic may be the easiest. The Silk Meringues (my fave!) are custard-y and can be piped.  The mousseline is light and pipes beautifully.

Whichever frosting you choose, I’d suggest watching your temperatures carefully. You really can’t go wrong with any of Rose’s frostings. I never thought I liked frosting until I discovered Rose’s. Now I have my teeny tiny freezer stuffed full of it.. and little else. Who needs veggies when you can have Caramel Silk Meringue??

Who needs veggies or meat?

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.