What exactly is french vanilla cake?!
Posted: 26 February 2012 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2010-12-04

I’m meeting with a wedding cake client in a couple days, and she has already told me that she wants a couple tiers to be
“french vanilla cake” ... I hate to sound ignorant, but I have no idea what this means! I would like to have an idea of what she is talking about before I meet with her… I’ve googled it.. and it seems to be a popular box cake mix. Help?!

Posted: 26 February 2012 10:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1376
Joined  2008-09-27

Interesting question…..I’m wondering if the term really doesn’t have any relevance outside of ice cream?  There’s a good chance that your customer doesn’t know what it means, either.  I’m reminded of a group of us standing outside one summer evening and everyone talking knowingly about “heat lightning” we could hear.  When I realized I really didn’t know what that was, I asked, and no one else did either.  They were just using a term they had heard.

Anyway, if you connect “French Vanilla” with a custard + vanilla, then Rose’s yellow cake (all yolks) plus a Silk Meringue vanilla frosting is probably as French Vanilla as it can get.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 27 February 2012 12:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2009-11-24

I would agree with Charles exactly….though I think I would just add more vanilla or make certain the vanilla you use is especially aromatic.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 27 February 2012 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

I’ve always wondered also.  It was my fave ice cream flavor when I was little, and it was always more yellow than “regular” vanilla, so I always thought maybe it was richer, with more egg yolks.  Maybe yellow them up a bit with yolks (rather than a white cake) and use real vanilla beans for specs???  I don’t know what kind of frosting you’re going to use, but the golden neoclassic buttercream is a lovely golden cast to it, as well.

Posted: 27 February 2012 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-04

Thanks everyone smile

It’s funny, some recipes don’t even call for vanilla but use buttermilk and others just use a teaspoon of vanilla….

I"ll see the bride tmrw and will keep you posted on what this “really means! lol

Posted: 27 February 2012 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2011-09-03

I agree with both Charles and CRenee…

I think I would add the extra vanilla in the cake as vanilla bean or vanilla paste for the speckles!

I’m very curious to hear the bride’s interpretation of the flavor!

Posted: 28 February 2012 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-04

Yup! She had no idea smile Just wants a vanilla cake!