liqueur substitute in the mousseline
Posted: 01 March 2012 02:34 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2012-02-26

I cant use liqueur in the mousseline ,so can i use vanilla essence instead or just skip the liqueur part of it ?

Posted: 01 March 2012 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

salmat, there’s no need to use liqueur but you do need to flavour it….for a vanilla flavoured buttercream, 1 tbsp of pure vanilla extract/batch of mousseline works well. For other flavours, chocolate, coffee etc or even fruit, I find that adding 1 tsp vanilla adds another dimension to the flavour of the buttercream.

Posted: 01 March 2012 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1352
Joined  2008-09-27

Vanilla extract contains alcohol.  As for what vanilla essence contains, I see different explanations all over the internet, so it may or may not contain alcohol.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 01 March 2012 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15
CharlesT - 01 March 2012 02:24 PM

Vanilla extract contains alcohol.

Most extracts do, but alcohol-free is available.

salmat - 01 March 2012 06:34 AM

can i use vanilla essence instead?

salmat, I’m not certain how the vanilla essence you’re using compares in flavour to extract, so my suggested measurements may not be relevant…..I would recommend just adding the essence to taste, otherwise the mousseline will taste like sweetened butter smile

Posted: 01 March 2012 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

You can simply use vanilla beans—lots of them!!!!!  You can also soak vanilla beans in milk for a couple days, scrape the beans into the milk, thicken the milk with flour (Wondra helps keep it lump-free) and then—after it’s cooled completely—mix it into the mousseline.  It makes it very light and fluffy and super-vanilly.  About 3/4 cup thickened milk to 4c. mousseline, but that’s give or take.  You can also add 4 oz melted & cooled white chocolate (I used both together)—oooh, was it good!!!!!!!

Posted: 01 March 2012 10:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

I’ll chime in with the others- be sure to flavor the mousseline with something- lemon curd, fruit puree, white chocolate, etc.  You don’t have to use liqueur, but it needs something added for flavor.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 02 March 2012 02:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2012-02-26

k thanks….im planning to use white chocolate or raspberry puree and just add a tbsp spoon of vanilla extract or essence. hope it turns out good