Non stick Cake Pans
Posted: 02 March 2012 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2012-02-06

I recently purchased the following cake pans as my basic baking essentials:

A 1 lb loaf pan - Chicago Metallic Commercial II , Diamond quality non stick dual coating
A 9 inch springform pan - Chloe’s Kitchen Professional Quality non stick
Set of two round 9*1 1/2 inch pans - Chicago Metallic,Non stick,flared sides

After I bought them, I read the Cake Bible which says that dark, non stick cake pans are not a good option. However, on her blog Rose lists Chicago Metallic 9*2 inch non stick pan as a baking essential (http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2008/08/bare_bone_baking_essentials_fo.html). I’m really confused. Should I return all these pans and buy the dull aluminium ones ? I think I’m almost certain that I need to return the 9*1 1/2 inch pans and buy the dull aluminium 9*2 inch pans with straight sides but am not sure about the first two. Please advise.

I have also read that the oven temperaure needs to be lowered 25 degrees for nonstick pans. Is this right ?

Posted: 02 March 2012 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1357
Joined  2008-09-27

You don’t necessarily need to return them.  Not everyone agrees about which sort of cake pans are “best”.  Some people like the dark pans because the cake exterior becomes well-browned.  If you don’t like that, then you may prefer a shiny pan.  I suspect that there are very few tools that are so bad that you can’t make a good product with it.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 02 March 2012 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25

I have straight sided Chicago Metallic Professional 9” pans and I think I should have bought some Magic Line pans—they really bake the nicest IMHO.  I also have other sizes in Magic Line and since 9” is the most common size, they get used the most.  I find I do need to lower the temp about 15F or so and use cake strips with the Chicago Metallic.

Posted: 02 March 2012 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17
Sadaf - 02 March 2012 06:52 PM

I recently purchased the following cake pans as my basic baking essentials:

A 1 lb loaf pan - Chicago Metallic Commercial II , Diamond quality non stick dual coating
A 9 inch springform pan - Chloe’s Kitchen Professional Quality non stick
Set of two round 9*1 1/2 inch pans - Chicago Metallic,Non stick,flared sides

After I bought them, I read the Cake Bible which says that dark, non stick cake pans are not a good option. However, on her blog Rose lists Chicago Metallic 9*2 inch non stick pan as a baking essential (http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2008/08/bare_bone_baking_essentials_fo.html). I’m really confused. Should I return all these pans and buy the dull aluminium ones ? I think I’m almost certain that I need to return the 9*1 1/2 inch pans and buy the dull aluminium 9*2 inch pans with straight sides but am not sure about the first two. Please advise.

I have also read that the oven temperaure needs to be lowered 25 degrees for nonstick pans. Is this right ?

I’m sure I read in one of Rose’s books that there is no need to adjust temp when using the Chicago Metallic 9 inch cake pan.

The 9 x 1 1/2 is useful for several of the recipes in TCB but yes, a 9 x 2 with straight sides is essential, IMO.

As Sherrie mentioned, the Parrish Magic Line bakes really nice.

Posted: 02 March 2012 11:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi Flour Girl, I recall reading that as well, however, I’ve noticed in my baking that this wasn’t the case.  It’s been better since I’ve made adjustments.

Posted: 03 March 2012 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

I do think that any pan with a dark coating or dark color needs to have the oven temp lowered, and it becomes more important to use cake strips. 

Whether to return your pans- I’m thinking that if you like them and don’t mind making adjustments, they’re fine.  But if you want a standard pan with as few adjustments as possible, I’d go with Magic Line or Chicago metallic dull silver-colored pans, 9x2 with straight sides.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 03 March 2012 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Julie, is the silver Chicago Metallic you are recommending with or without the diamond coating?

I have all Magic Line cake pans except for the 9 x 2 inch, which is the dark Chicago Metallic professional recommended in RHC.  I have never had anything but perfect cakes come out of that pan. I do have to mention the cake is baked at the earliest recommended time.

Posted: 03 March 2012 09:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Sherrie - 03 March 2012 03:35 AM

Hi Flour Girl, I recall reading that as well, however, I’ve noticed in my baking that this wasn’t the case.  It’s been better since I’ve made adjustments.

Sherrie, I guess everyone’s oven is different. I have been very lucky with every recipe I have made of Rose’s. The recipes in which I use the CM pan do always bake at the earliest recommended time but they are perfect. Her timing is so spot on, they are the only recipes, of all my books, that I never have to check early. When she says it is done, that’s when it is done for me.

Posted: 04 March 2012 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

I don’t know if there is some other factor I’m missing—but my cakes dome more and are done faster in the CM pans—and this is in comparison to everything else that I bake in aluminum—which bakes the nicest.  When I did my sis-in-laws wedding cake a couple of years ago, I made the 14” white velvet in an aluminum pan with flour nail and cake strips and it was the most perfectly level butter cake I’ve ever baked!  Go figure!  It had lovely texture too—so I didn’t sacrifice there either. 

FG…a question for you…do you have issues with the cake sides sloping after baking with the CM?  My pan has sides that are perfectly straight and not sloped but the top is always in further than the bottom and when I unmold they are never straight like the pans—I almost need a pie shaped pan to reverse the effect!

Posted: 04 March 2012 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Sherrie, I don’t recall any slopping of the sides but I do sometimes have the top mounded a little, even with the cake strips, which would make it seem like a slight slope. 

The CM pans are very sturdy but I have to agree with you, nothing bakes like the Magic Line, IMO.

I bought the CM 9 inch round when I was brand new to baking.  I would not buy them again. But, when I was looking for loaf pans, I was disappointed to learn Magic Line doesn’t make a 8.5 x 4.5 pan. 

I have the 8.5 x 4.5 in the dark version CM (now extinct). It bakes well but does get more brown than my 9 x 5 Magic Line. I also have the USA Pan and the William Sonoma goldtone loaf in a 8.5 x 4.5. Of the 3, the WS preforms the best for me but still not as well as my 9 x 5 Magic Line.

Posted: 04 March 2012 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-02-06

Thanks for all the replies. I’m certain that it’s a good idea to exchange the flared 9 inch pans for the straight sided ones. However, I cannot find either Chicago Metallic or Magic Line Pans easily here in Canada. (I purchased the above mentioned pans from the US). I was wondering about the quality of the dull aluminium 9*2 pans which are easily available here.

Posted: 04 March 2012 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15
Sadaf - 04 March 2012 08:45 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I’m certain that it’s a good idea to exchange the flared 9 inch pans for the straight sided ones. However, I cannot find either Chicago Metallic or Magic Line Pans easily here in Canada. (I purchased the above mentioned pans from the US). I was wondering about the quality of the dull aluminium 9*2 pans which are easily available here.

Sadaf, Golda’s, located in Mississauga carries some of the Chicago Metallic line as well as Fat Daddios. I’ve never tried Chicago metallic, but I have used Fat Daddios 6 x 2” and they seem to be fine so far….I’ve baked both butter cakes and genoise in them. Fat Daddios is also carried by McCall’s in Toronto. I’ve tried the Crown line they carry as well (9 x 2”) and, again, have had no issues with them. I do find that the cakes baked in the Fat Daddios pans get a little browner. I’ve included links to both stores.

http://www.goldaskitchen.com/

http://www.mccalls.ca/index.asp

Hope this helps.

Posted: 04 March 2012 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-02-06

Thanks for the info Sophia. I will check out both the stores.

Posted: 04 March 2012 08:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi Sadaf,
I have some wilton aluminum pans and they are not comparable to Magic Line.  I’ve heard poor things about Fat Daddios but never owned them so can’t say for sure.  A local store used to carry Magic Line (I’m in Saskatoon) but I have ordered them from a place in Edmonton called Nicholson Equipment—very good service and they have all shapes and sizes and the prices aren’t too bad.  You may want to check them out.  Lots of places that carry ML are 3”, but they did have the 2” high pans a year or so ago when I purchased from them.  I know it’s difficult to find baking equip/supplies in Canada—especially less populated areas!
Good Luck!

Posted: 05 March 2012 02:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Sadaf, doesn’t Amazon ship to Canada?

Posted: 19 March 2012 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-02-06

Not all sellers on Amazon ship to Canada. However, my husband is going to the US. So. he will get either Magic Line or Chicago Metallic pans for me. Thanks for all the responses.