New here with a question for y’all
Posted: 02 March 2012 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-03-02

Hi Everyone!  I’m new to this forum and I’m new to “completely scratch baking”.  Well, let me clarify:  I’ve been a cake decorator for 12 years now.  Some of my recipes are scratch, some are doctored cake mixes.  For a variety of reasons I’m switching everything over to scratch baking—the kind where I have to weigh everything.  My question for y’all is:  Is there a chart which tells how much the various egg whites should weigh?  For example, I see recipes for 4 egg whites—well if I have jumbo eggs, or large eggs, or extra large eggs, that’s three different sizes of egg whites.  So I figure the best thing to do is weigh them for more consistent baking.  But how much should “4 egg whites” weigh?  Is there a chart available? 

Thanks in advance everyone! :D

Posted: 02 March 2012 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Nutmeg!

Welcome!

Egg white = 30g white
Egg yolk = 20g yolk

Happy baking!!

—ak

Posted: 03 March 2012 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

Anne’s weights are for large size eggs.  I frequently buy farm eggs, which are more variable in size, because they are much fresher and have substantially larger yolks than commercial eggs.  If you’re using commercial eggs, and you have sizes that are different than large, just use your scale to weigh them and remove any extra white (since yolks seem to run so small with commerical eggs). 

Welcome to scratch baking!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 03 March 2012 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, again!

Sorry—I was unclear.  I should have said that, in Rose’s recipes, when she calls for “2 eggs,” that means 60 g whites + 40 g yolks—this way, you can buy any size or style of egg you choose, and it doesn’t matter if they have scrawny yolks, because you can crack open a 3rd egg to supplement the yolk, if necessary. 

Julie, you have access to unpasteurized cream AND farm eggs?  I mean, how groovy is that!!!!???!!!

—ak

Posted: 03 March 2012 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-03-02

Okay that’s what I thought—just find the weight of one egg white (or yolk) and multiply it by how many I need.  I have a container of egg whites from this week, there are three and it measured 94g.  If I were to use it, would I remove 4g of egg white?  I’m thinking of making macarons.

Posted: 03 March 2012 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

You’ve got it right!  Howver, if it’s fussy and goopy, 4g probably won’t get you into too much trouble!  : )

I let an extra 4g yolk sneak into my Gateau Breton today without incident!