7” Gateau Breton
Posted: 03 March 2012 11:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

My boss and her husband kindly brought us her moving boxes today so we can use them for our move, so we had a gateau breton ready for her to take home!

This is the 7” version—60% of the recipe.  I used dark rum for the liquid, but I won’t get to try it.  I had it once, made with water as the liquid, and it is phenomenal!

The gateau is so easy to make, yet so cute and so delicious—if you have someone who eats lots of egg white omelettes around, this is one of many great ways to use the yolks!

Image Attachments
Gateau Breton - Copy.jpg

Posted: 04 March 2012 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

Anne, it looks perfect!  I loved this cake when I made it, sort of like a shortbread lover’s cake smile

Good luck with your move!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 05 March 2012 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

Anne, it looks delicious. I’ve made it only once and everyone loved it - I can only imagine what it tastes like with rum smile

I can’t believe you’re baking in the midst of a move!!

Posted: 05 March 2012 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

It looks great! I have never heard of it before seeing it in RHC. What does it taste like? Does it need an adornment such as powdered sugar? Did you use high fat butter?

Good luck in your new place!!

Posted: 05 March 2012 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks everyone!!!

@Sophia—I wish I could have tasted it with rum, too!!!  The baking helps keep stress down ... wish I had more I could do!
@FG—It is delicious.  I think you’ll like its sweetness level.  It’s like a cross between pound cake and shortbread, tending, I think, toward a dense, but somewhat chewy (or cake-like), shortbread.  I think you would probably find it sweet enough (due to its denseness), but you could put powdered sugar on it if you wanted to.  I THINK I used high fat butter—I used Kerry Gold.

Posted: 05 March 2012 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

I LOVE shortbread! This sounds amazing. I just have to try it, even if it is just a little piece. I’m guessing no way to low-cholestrol it downer

Posted: 05 March 2012 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2011-09-03

Oh my! A shortbread cake! This, I have to try. I LOVE shortbread!!

Stress reducer or no, you’re my hero for finding time to bake during a move. I hope you get settled in your new how quickly!

Posted: 06 March 2012 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2008-07-30

Anne, this looks absolutely DELICIOUS!

Signature 

http://www.facebook.com/FantasyCakesByCassy

Posted: 06 March 2012 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, again, everyone! 

@Sophia—Actually, not moving per se yet—just buying.  Move is beginning of April.  I hope the moving will be less stressful than the buying!!
@FG—Low cholesterol?  I SERIOUSLY doubt this one!!!  All egg yolks and butter!!!!!

I heard back that they have been eating it for breakfast, and it goes great with coffee.  I aksed if they could taste the rum in it, and they said that, now that I mentioned it, they could.