Sunken golden genoise
Posted: 04 March 2012 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  145
Joined  2010-05-24

I haven’t baked a genoise in a while, so my folding was definitely rusty. After beating the egg yolks on high for 5 min, I added the 1/4 c. water., but the batter was thinner than a genoise classique batter (though I could still fold the flour in).  I used a 9x2 cake pan and baked it for 30 min at what I thought was 350. (An oven thermometer told me the oven was 10 deg. off, but who knows which is off…my oven or the thermometer? But I presume the temp was close to 350 after adjustments, since the cake was finished in 30 min.)

The cake rose to a full 2 in in the pan when I took it out of the oven. It even peeped out just a tad from the top. Of course, when I unmolded it, the cake rack squished it a bit. The cake shrank to 1.5 in, and then I let it cool, top up, on a rack. An hour later, the center sunk. Why is that? Wondering what are the causes of a sunken genoise after cooling…

Posted: 04 March 2012 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16
michaelnrdx - 04 March 2012 08:09 PM

Wondering what are the causes of a sunken genoise after cooling…

Normally, underbaking is the cause. How did you test for doneness?  An internal temp of about 195F would have been good.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 05 March 2012 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  145
Joined  2010-05-24

Hmm..I didn’t really test much for doneness. The top was a good brown and it looked like the sides were shrinking. But I suppose I could’ve left it in the oven for a few more minutes.