Fondant Supplier?
Posted: 04 March 2012 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  129
Joined  2011-01-21

Hello Everyone!
  It has been a while since i have been part of the forum.  I have still been baking though - here is a photo of my friends baby shower cake (the sex of the baby was revealed with the color of the instead of the cake.  I was the only one who knew - with the exception of the parents wink.  It was pink inside!)
  My question is to all of you who work in fondant - is there a good supply chain or store that sells better quality of fondant than say Wilton?
  Thanks!

Image Attachments
babycake.jpg

Posted: 05 March 2012 12:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  715
Joined  2012-01-12

Hi,  try this : http://www.fondantsource.com/

I live fondant and I breath fondant…  But I make my own..  here are some examples of my cakes:

The Baby Diaper bag was for a baby shower..  the one w/ the red shoes was for a silent auction;  one w/ pink converse was for a baby shower (girl);  the one w/ the shells (all hand made) was a birthday cake.. for a 21 yrs old who loves the beach..

Image Attachments
beachcake.jpgemeraldballcake.jpgpinkconverse.jpgdiaperbagcake.jpg

Posted: 05 March 2012 06:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2007-11-27

If making your own is not an option for you, see if you can find the Duff brand of fondant; I’ve never tried it but I’ve heard that it is made by a different company and has a better taste than the Wilton brand.

There are mail-order sites that you can buy commercial fondant from; you’ll pay freight charges which aren’t cheap since this is heavy; but you can try Avalon Cake Deco, CK kichens, Cal-Java (aka Sweet Inspirations - they make the Fondarific brand which is getting good reviews but again I’ve not tried it).  You can also buy direct from Satin Ice. Maybe there’s even a cake supply shop near you that would sell fondant.  You don’t have to buy huge quantities but if mail order doesn’t work, the Duff brand is available at Michael’s/Hobby Lobby.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 05 March 2012 06:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-21

Hi PrettyCake -
  Your cakes look wonderful!  Thanks for sharing!  I tried making marshmallow fondant at home - and to be honest i wasn’t a fan of it.

Hi Jeanne -
  Thanks so much for your ideas - i have playing around with the idea of going to fondant as well as butter cream.  I will definitely try your suggestions!  I will keep you posted

Thanks again!!!

Posted: 05 March 2012 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  715
Joined  2012-01-12

You can add white chocolate to enhance the flavor or other extracts.. Fondant is fondant.  Just like royal icing,  it is nothing but very sweet icing made of egg whites and sugar and some extracts.

Posted: 05 March 2012 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2007-11-27

Try making the rolled fondant from TCB, you might like it a lot better than marshmallow fondant. Make sure to let it rest or it will be sticky, and you can flavor it with oils or as Prettycake suggests, melted white chocolate.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 06 March 2012 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2010-02-24

globalsugarart.com is the best place I have found to buy fondant on line.  They are the cheapest for me and the shipping is quick.  I buy the Satin Ice.  It tastes good.  A lot of people say the fondarific tastes good.

Posted: 19 March 2012 12:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-03-18

I second the globalsugarart.com.  There’s a lot of variety (SatinIce and others) plus they carry Pettinice which is about as delicious as commercial fondant gets

Signature 

Baking with my grandfather’s oven
http://www.illuminatedoven.com

Posted: 29 April 2012 08:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-21

Thanks Everyone for your response!
I am hosting a Luncheon and i am planning on making a cake with Fondant - first attempt since i don’t use fondant much - i will definitely take all your suggestions!  Thanks so much - i will post my cake when finished!
Thanks