flat cake with thick doughy crust
Posted: 05 March 2012 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-03-05

Over the weekend I baked the Golden Almond Cake.  I followed the instructions exactly and ended up with a cake that was flat, rather than slightly domed and it has a thick crust on top.  I’m not sure what caused this.
I have baked many of your other cake without issues, so I’m not sure what happened this time.
Thanks!

Posted: 09 March 2012 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Was the cake close to the height named in the sidebar?  How was the interior texture?

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 09 March 2012 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-03-05

Initially the cake was moist and light, with the thick crust on top.  I let it cool, then covered it with a cream cheese glaze.  the cake was about 1 3/4 inches when cool.  When I took it out of the oven the top was slightly domed, upon cooling it was level across the top and a touch dry.
I am wondering if it was overmixed or overbaked, or maybe both?
Thanks!

I want to try it again, but wanted to see if I could figure out what went wrong.

Posted: 09 March 2012 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

I checked TCB and the sidebar says the cake should be 1.5” at the sides and 1.75” in the middle, so it does sound like your cake was the right height.  Many of Rose’s cakes are slightly domed coming out of the oven and then cool to a flat shape, but this one is intended to have a slight dome even when cool. 

Since your cake was flat and the right height, it almost sounds like your sides were too high, rather than having a problem with the center.  How did you test for doneness, what sort of cake strips did you use, and how long did the cake bake? 

I baked a different almond cake - gateau breton from RHC- and my oven was running cool, so the cake took longer than the time specified to be done.  The result?  Very dry from being in the oven too long, even though it had reached the correct internal temp.  I tried it again with a hotter oven and it was perfect- moist, tender, great.  I’m wondering if this could be the problem with your cake- in the oven too long, so the top dried out and the cake baked flat.  Despite being dry, the solution is a hotter oven.  (or thinner/less soaked cake strips, if that is what was slowing down baking).

Hope something there helps.  I’ll be out of town for the next few days, hopefully someone else can jump in if this doesn’t solve your problem (or you could ask Woody over on the blog).

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls