Chiffon cakes
Posted: 03 June 2008 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-06-03

I made an lemon chiffon for my guest two weeks ago and they all love it.
However, it did not turn out perfect because after I unmolded it the middle of the cake is wet and looks uncooked around of the tube pan. So I cheat and cut it out to make a bigger hole. But the when I cut vertical to serve the cake the color is not even, it is darker yellow in some places.
I am not sure what I did something wrong?
I divided the cake batter into one bigger and smaller portion and I baked the bigger one for 30 mins.  My cake pan and cake plate is too small for one big cake.

Posted: 03 June 2008 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1420
Joined  2007-11-15

did you bake both cakes at the same time?  seems like it is an oven temperature evenness issue.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 04 June 2008 01:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-06-03

I put both cakes in the oven. One is bigger another is smaller. I pull out the smaller one after 20 mins and then the bigger one after 30 mins. I tested the bigger one in the tube pan and it is done but not quite done around the tube after I unmolded the cake. Maybe I did not mix the batter well. Thanks

Posted: 04 June 2008 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1420
Joined  2007-11-15

Yes, honestly I have a hard time “testing” the cakes by using the toothpick or cake tester method.

Moreover, when I bake more than one cake in my oven, the results are so different than baking only one.  I would bake more than one cake only if I am allowed to use convection or if I have a rotating turntable.

For a chiffon, if I haven’t mixed the whites well, I would encounter “holes” of whites.  Rose recently shared a good way to avoid this by running an icing spatula several times around the cake pan after filled.  My mother would always catch any dollops of whites as the batter poured onto the pans by semi-blocking the pouring batter with a rubber spatula held on the rim of the bowl; she would wiggle the spatula to smash the dollops.

I suspect that because there was more than one chiffon cake in the oven, the heat flow prevented to reach the center tube of your issue cake.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 06 June 2008 01:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-06-03

thank you so much. It really make sense to me now. I will make one this weekend. Have a nice weekend.