the wedding cake I never had…
Posted: 08 March 2012 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

When my husband and I married years ago, the trend in tiered wedding cakes was fruit cake with royal icing. I didn?t want that so we ended up with a sheet cake that was delicious but not decorated in any special way. For our recent wedding anniversary, I thought I would try my hand at making a small version of the cake we might have had, while keeping in mind that it was for our anniversary.

The cake is TCB white velvet filled with passion curd and white chocolate mousseline. It?s covered in the same mousseline and homemade marshmallow fondant. I kept the decoration simple as it was my first foray into the world of fondant and flexible so I could hide my fondant-related mistakes smile . I have an even greater respect and admiration now for people who work with this stuff!!

I also didn?t know anything about Groom?s cakes back then, so I also made my husband the Double-Chocolate Whammy Groom?s cake from RHC and baked it in the Wilton guitar cake pan. Wow, is this cake chocolate-y! Decorating this one was beyond my capabilities smile so I covered it with a thin coat of the chocolate cream glaze from TCB. These shaped pans are the bane of my existence. The neck of the guitar was over baked by the time the rest of the cake was done?I should have used a flower nail.

Apart from the unevenly baked guitar (ie some pieces dry, some moist and fudgy) both cakes were delicious. The chocoholic was particularly happy about his cake and I had a lot of fun making them.

Image Attachments
25cake2.jpg25cake9.jpggroomscake11.jpggroomscake8.jpg

Posted: 08 March 2012 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1178
Joined  2009-11-24

Sophia!!  Congratulations on the milestone!  That is such a pretty wedding/anniversary cake.  Very well done!!!  It looks really delicious.  So what are the sizes of the tiers?  I have been thinking of doing a mini-tier just for the fun of it (and practice).  I have yet to try the Whammy Groom’s cake. Thank you the tasting notes and the warning abou doing in odd-shapped pan.  It sounds delicious. 

(Planning how I am going to attempt to mimic a cake like that).

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 08 March 2012 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  2007-11-27

What a lovely cake!

Happy Anniversary - and many more smile

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 08 March 2012 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Congratulations on the cakes and on your anniversary!  I think your decoration on the wedding cake is perfectly elegant, and I would never have suspected it was chosen becuase it was “kept simple” due to your first foray!

The cake flavors sound wonderful.  The groom’s cake is yummy—I’ve made it before, too.

Posted: 08 March 2012 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25

Congratulations on your anniversary and what a great way to celebrate!  Gorgeous cakes!  Looks like it should be served with some champagne too!  (all the bubbles got me thinking of that smile ).  Wishing you many more happy anniversaries together!

Posted: 08 March 2012 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2011-09-03

Congratulations on your anniversary Sophia!

I love, love, love your tiered cake. It is so elegant and pretty! Not to mention luscious sounding- love the flavor combination!

The whammy is pretty spectacular too! I love the idea of shaped pans, but I’ve wondered how ones like this with dramatically different dimensions could bake evenly… If you try it again with the flower nail, please let us know if that solves the issue.

Posted: 09 March 2012 12:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15

Thank you, everyone, for your kind wishes and compliments.

CRenee, the tiers were 6” and 9”. The whammy cake is Rose’s Chocolate Domingo with chopped, super-fudgy brownie added. Each cake on its own is chocolate-y and delicious…the combination is over the top.

Jeanne, your compliment means a great deal to me, thank you.

Anne, Georgie, I actually wanted to make my favourite cake, RHC’s White Gold Passion Genoise, but I didn’t know if the soft buttercream and the genoise would hold up under the fondant and candy pearls, so I borrowed the flavours from it and went with more stable elements. It was really delicious, especially after I peeled off the fondant smile

Sherrie, there was definitely champagne at the celebration but what we really needed were tall glasses of cold milk to go with the chocolate groom’s cake!

Georgie, I think some batters work better than others in these shaped pans. I’ve made a carrot cake in this guitar pan and the problem wasn’t as bad but it was a much lighter batter with a shorter baking time; the batter for the groom’s cake was very thick, the cake was very dense and had a long baking time. I’ll let you know if a flower nail helps the next time I use this pan.

Posted: 09 March 2012 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Congratulations on your anniversary!  How nice to finally make the cakes you had been missing.  They look wonderful, both the chocolate and the passion fruit- I love passion fruit. smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 09 March 2012 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

Happy Anniversary! And, thanks for the heads-up on the flower nail for the guitar cake. I was thinking of making it for a party.

Posted: 09 March 2012 09:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15

Thank you, Julie and Flour Girl.

Posted: 14 March 2012 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2008-07-30

Happy Anniversary, Your cakes both sound and look delicious. Yummy! And beautiful!

Signature 

http://www.facebook.com/FantasyCakesByCassy

Posted: 14 March 2012 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15

Thank you, ediblecreationz.

I tried to roll my fondant as thinly as you do so the cakes would have more well-defined edges, but I ended up just tearing it! I need a lot more practice and perhaps a different fondant recipe smile

Posted: 14 March 2012 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-07-30

It looks nice, I can say that fondant does take practice. My first fondant cake was a DISASTER!
Why do you think you need a new recipe? Did you add too much/ too little powdered sugar?
Did it seem dry? That is easy to happen, I normally use a bit less and add if I need anymore once I am using it.

Signature 

Posted: 14 March 2012 08:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15

Not having made fondant before, I may very well have added too much of the powdered sugar. It seemed pretty supple at the start, but became drier as I rolled. I’ll keep your tip regarding the sugar in mind if I ever attempt fondant again smile

Posted: 15 March 2012 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-07-30

Yes, that is what took me the hardest to learn when I started making fondant. When I break out my fondant and begin to roll it it usually breaks and gets lumpy, but as I work it with my hand it becomes pliable. Before I never understood how important it is to spend time to knead it. You should try again. Let me know how it turns out.

Signature