Which of Roses’ cakes is best suited to bake in a Wilton Wonder Mould Kit? Kindly suggest.
Posted: 14 March 2012 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2010-08-01

Hi Everybody

I am doing a doll cake using the Wilton Wonder Mould Kit…am wondering which of Rose’s cakes would be best suited for this…I may need to double a recipe as these are the product features:

Pan measures 8-inch diameter and 5-inch deep,takes 5-6 cups of firm-textured batter and has a heat-conducting rod that assures even baking..

Also, can you split the doll cake for layers inorder to fill them up? Will the cake crack if you do so? Have not yet baked in a doll cake mould as yet, so kindly advice. Thank you.

Posted: 15 March 2012 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  600
Joined  2007-11-27

I would go with the pound cake; it’s firmer than the regular butter cakes so it could work.  But I haven’t baked in the doll form so I don’t know what happens if you torte it.  I’ve seen some people put the doll part on another round cake (to make it taller, for example) or have that round cake be wider so it’s kind of like a platform…

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 16 March 2012 08:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-08-01

Thanks Jeanne…guess will just have to try baking in one of those…yes, the doll cake mould is placed on top of another 9’’ or 10’’ cake for the height and is filled so I don’t necessarily have to torte and frost my doll cake…

I can use any of Roses’ cakes for the bottom rounds and Roses’s pound cake is a hot favorite in here…maybe, it shd work for the doll mould as well…will revert once I do so.

Posted: 16 March 2012 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2010-02-24

Sharon, Let us know how it goes when you bake in the wonder mould pan.  I have on too and am thinking of using the white velvet butter cake recipe.  Thanks.

Posted: 30 March 2012 03:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-08-01

I am planning to bake Roses’ favorite yelow cake in the Wonder mould pan….guess will have to double the recipe for the pan…

One doubt regarding the Cake pops…it is ok to add whipped cream instead of buttercream to bind the shredded cake crumbs and make them into small balls, correct?

Posted: 30 March 2012 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15
Sharon Vinod - 30 March 2012 06:01 AM

One doubt regarding the Cake pops…it is ok to add whipped cream instead of buttercream to bind the shredded cake crumbs and make them into small balls, correct?

Sharon, I see a few problems with using whipped cream in a cake pop: I don’t think it would have the same adhesive properties as buttercream; you wouldn’t be able to leave the cream/cake pops at room temp for longer than 2 hours; the foam would collapse when forming the cake balls so I’m not sure why it would be whipped first.

I think it’s important that whatever is used as the “glue” for the cake crumbs is as stable as possible at room temp and even warmer temperatures as they are usually shaped by hand and dipped in a warm candy/chocolate coating.

Posted: 01 April 2012 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-08-01

Thanks so much Sophia…din’t think of the foam in the whipped cream collapsing…and yes, right now, it is super humid where I live…am sure the cake pops would never have made it if I were to have used whipped cream, shaping and dipping and all…

Your comment has saved a lot of mess….will try it with regular buttercream or Ganache…am hoping Ganache will not pose any unseen problems?

Will post once I make the pops.

Posted: 01 April 2012 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

Sharon, I think the ganache will work though it might be a little messy - melted chocolate on the hands - when you’re shaping them, but once they’re chilled they should be okay, and, you will have elevated the cake pop to chocolate truffle status smile !

I’d love to see them when they’re done!

Posted: 02 April 2012 01:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-08-01

Hi Sophia

Messy is fine ‘coz the activity involves kids, smile…

The baking day with the kids is on the 19th of this month, will let you know how it goes along with the pix…neways, will test bake with the ganache to see how it goes b4 doing it along with the kids…

Thanks!