curdled buttercream
Posted: 16 March 2012 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2011-07-12

I made a nice maple neoclassic buttercream yesterday to go with some vanilla whoopie pies.  It turned out really well and I refrigerated it overnight.  Today, I took it out for about 2 hours and started to rewhip it.  I was surprised to see it curdled and checked RHC and read that it should have been at room temp.  I should have used a thermometer to check. 

These need to appear tonight at 6:00 so I am considering whipping up a batch of vanilla buttercream or tossing some 10x in the existing mess.  It is in the frig now.  Not sure if there is anything I can do to save it.  There is 2 cups of beautiful maple syrup in this which is a product made with a great deal of effort and care.  I know, I watched my neighbors make it, sigh.

If I do make up a new batch of plain buttercream does anyone have a suggestion for how to get the butter to room temp. quickly? 

Cheers, may your weekend projects enjoy more success than mine!

Posted: 16 March 2012 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27

If I do make up a new batch of plain buttercream does anyone have a suggestion for how to get the butter to room temp. quickly?

Pound it with a rolling pin.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 16 March 2012 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  910
Joined  2009-05-25

I put it in the micro on low or 2 power (I have a Panasonic Inverter—so I think it actually reduces power) for a couple of mintues.  Are you sure it is too warm?  2 hours at room temp isn’t that long…perhaps it needs to be warmed.

Posted: 16 March 2012 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

You can also cut it into slices and then cubes, so they’re about the size of tablespoons of butter.  It takes a long time to come to room temp, so 2 hours might not have been enough!

Posted: 16 March 2012 10:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Your curdled buttercream will be fine if you bring it completely up to room temp and then whip on high.  I’ve rescued completely, utterly curdled buttercream before just by warming and beating.  It works.

Good luck, hope you get this in time!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 17 March 2012 12:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2011-07-12

Thank you for the rolling pin tip.  I will also try the microwave idea after I spend a little time educating myself on the controls

I did end up puttintg in some confect. sugar and was able to produce something that looked OK.  But I did hold back some of the curdled and beat it again and sure enough,  it did come back together just as you said it would Julie—thanks for trying to help me save it.  I used it to fill the two I was planning to keep for my husband. 

In the end, I was so pleased they disappeared so quickly.  While in the buffet line, the person next to me said that I better grab one quick because they were so good and going fast.  Then he conspiratorily assured me that they were homemade on the premises.  Needless to say, that made my day.  Phew.