All Occasion Downy Yellow Cake finished height
Posted: 21 March 2012 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2012-02-06

I had been planning to make the famous All Occasion Downy Yellow butter cake from TCB for a very long time. I read the recipe several times, watched Rose’s video,bought fresh baking powder and set out to try it today. I even used a timer for mixing during each step so that I don’t overbeat or underbeat. To my utter disppointment I ended up with two layers each just 3/4 inch high rather than 1 1/4 inch mentioned in the book. The texture was amazingly soft and moist even though I had slightly overbaked it ( the sides were dark and had begun to shrink before removal from the oven). I had baked the cake at 325 degrees rather than 350 because I was using two dark non stick Chicago Metallic pans and the instructions on the pan recommended lowering the temperature. What could be the reason for the low height ?

Posted: 21 March 2012 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-02-06

I used an oven thermometer too.I baked the cake for 35 minutes at 325 F. .As I said it was slightly overbaked. I checked the baking powder too using hot water and it fizzed perfectly . It has an expiry date of July 2013 and was opened for this particular cake itself.

Posted: 21 March 2012 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-02-06

My pans are 1 and 1/2 inches high. BTW, in my edition of TCB I didn’t see instructions for increasing the batter if using 2 inches high pans.

Posted: 21 March 2012 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-02-06

Hi Sherrie, I took out the butter and eggs two hours before baking. I cut up the butter into small pieces so it softened sooner. I checked the temperature with a thermometer and the butter was around 70 F. I didnt check the eggs though, the shells didnt feel cold when I cracked them. As for the milk I warmed it in the microwave for 20 seconds. On second thoughts could I have overmixed the batter after addition of the eggs mixture? When Rose says medium speed I used speed 6 on my Kitchen Aid, maybe I should have mixed on speed 4 after each addition.

Posted: 21 March 2012 08:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2007-11-16

Roses’s recipe for the All occasion downy yellow cake only makes one 9 inch layer, did you double the recipe?

‹‹ curdled buttercream      Cake Enhancer ››