Cake Enhancer
Posted: 22 March 2012 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2012-01-14

King Arthur sells something I’ve never heard of, “Cake Enhancer”.  The ingredients are (from the label)

EMULSIFIER (RICE STARCH,
POLYGLYCEROL ESTERS OF FATTY ACIDS,
MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES OF FATTY ACIDS

It’s supposed to make and keep your cakes moist.

This particular recipe already has yoghurt and a fair amount of oil AND butter, plus 4 egg whites plus an extra whole egg.  Seems like it ought to be plenty moist without it.  I’d make my own but it seems sort of chemical-y for that sort of thing.

Is there a home made version of “cake enhancer” or do you think it would be ok to just skip it altogether?

Recipe is at http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/lemon-cloud-cake-recipe

Posted: 22 March 2012 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1376
Joined  2008-09-27
KitchenBarbarian - 22 March 2012 02:06 PM

Is there a home made version of “cake enhancer” or do you think it would be ok to just skip it altogether?

I think most from-scratch bakers like to avoid various types of enhancers, since that’s why we bake from scratch in the first place. I personally don’t see a real need for it, since the cakes just don’t sit around that long.  I sometimes put a damp sponge in the cake container to maintain a moist atmosphere.

That said, a natural emulsifier is lecithin, which could be added to a cake batter, and egg yolks contain lecithin as well.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 22 March 2012 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

I’ve also read somewhere that xanthan gum is supposed to help keep cakes moist.  Never tried this.