Can I add clarified. Utter to biscuit de savioe recipe
Posted: 26 March 2012 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2010-02-10

Is it possible to add a little clarified butter to a biscuit de savioe recipe that I plan to bake in a 9x2 deep single pan? I love the texture of the biscuit when baked in a thin sheet, and I wanted to see if anyone every tried incorporating a little butter to it. Could the structure collapse?

Posted: 23 April 2012 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

I’ve never tried it, but it seems like it would be a lot like a genoise- closer/finer grained and more tender than a biscuit, but also shorter.  If you try it, please report back.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 07 September 2013 08:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2010-02-10

I just tried baking biscuit de savoie with melted butter - 4 tbsp for half recipe of Rose’s biscuit de savoie recipe (1 9 inch pan) . It was delicious, moist, and absolutely spongy and tender. It is almost identical to Julia Child’s biscuit au buerre or butter spongecake recipe from Mastering the Art of French Cooking Vol 1. While I have baked genoise successfully i had not been pleased with the syruping part - the cake always seemed dry or i tasted too much syrup. I will be using this butter enhanced recipe as a base for all my cake layers going forward.

Posted: 08 September 2013 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Thanks for reporting back, good to know!  smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe