strawberry mousseline substitute ??
Posted: 28 March 2012 02:44 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2012-02-26

can i subsititute strawberry jam insteaad of puree for the strawberry mousseline ??

Posted: 28 March 2012 07:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Salmat!

I’m fairly certain it would work perfectly well, because it is thick enough to keep the mousseline from breaking down.  However, strawberry jam is very sweet, and its falvor is often not as “strawaberry-y” once it is diluted.  If you don’t mind a milder strawberry flavor, and if you don’t mind a sweeter frosting (and many don’t), this should work very well for you.  Because of its thickness, you can probably put in more jam than puree, but if you add extra, do it slowly so you can taste it for sweeness and watch the texture. 

If you have freeze-dried strawberries in your store, you can powder them and punch-up the flavor.  I made strawberry mousseline using powdered freeze dried strawberries (the crunchy kind), and it was not only delicous on the cake, but it was quite amazing on graham crackers…. (http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/3627/)

Good luck!!

—ak

Posted: 28 March 2012 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2010-12-29

On graham crackers??  Yum!

Posted: 28 March 2012 10:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Yum!

Sincerely!

Posted: 29 March 2012 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

It works.  when I am in a rush…I do it all the time.  Just add the jam gradually, until you get the flavor you are looking for. It is a tad sweeter, but since mousseline doesn’t have that much sugar…I have never had anyone complain that the frosting was too sweet.