Need Quick Choc. Frosting Recipe
Posted: 04 June 2008 11:31 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2008-06-02

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any good recipes for a quick chcolate frosting (w/ fairly inexpensive ingredients). I’ve had a disaster with my usual recipe tonight, I used a cheaper version of chocolate liquor instead of Godiva and my frosting tastes horrible! I am making a large black forest type cake, whipped cream/black cherry filling, I will brush w/ kirsh. I would appreciate any recipes you might have, that one was my favorite and I don’t know any other good chocolate ones that would go good with that cake. You all seem so helpful and knowledgable so I thought I’d try here. Thanks. Brigitte

Posted: 04 June 2008 11:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Brigitte, I don’t know what type of cake you are making (butter cake, genoise etc) but here are two suggestions:
Chocolate Mousseline, Light Whipped Ganache.
Rose recommends Super-Stabilized Whipped Cream or Real Old-fashioned Whipped Cream in her Swiss Black Forest Cake. Of course they are both not chocolate. Maybe you could try her Chocolate Chip Whipped Cream. Good luck. Let us know how you fare.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 05 June 2008 12:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2008-06-02

Thanks Rozanne for your suggestions, I’ll look at those both. I’m making a choc. butter cake. Thanks again for the quick response. Brigitte

Posted: 05 June 2008 12:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

I was going to suggest a ganache as well—just chocolate and cream, nice and easy and so tasty! You can cool it down to whipping / spreading consistency faster if you use an ice water bath and stir often.

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 05 June 2008 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1420
Joined  2007-11-15

ganache or a chocolate glaze,

or whip in some melted/cooled chocolate or chocolate cream into your whipped cream.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 05 June 2008 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2008-04-29

Agree that classic chocolate ganache would be easiest - sets up beautifully dark, smooth and shiny!

Signature 

http://scratch.typepad.com/
http://www.milkglassbaking.com

Posted: 06 June 2008 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Milk chocolate buttercream in the cake bible is really easy too…just beat the melted chocolate into the butter…what could be easier?

Posted: 23 July 2008 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2007-11-19

How does the Milk Chocolate BC compare to a whipped ganache?  Is one more chocolatey than the other?  Can you pipe with both?  What is the texture of one versus the other?

I am looking for a good chocolate BC - not too sophisticated - for a kid’s birthday cake next weekend.  I haven’t jumped into the MBC yet, so I am looking for something other than a meringue frosting.  I have been experimenting with other choc BC recipes and adjusting the butter, choc, and powd sugar ratios but still haven’t found THE recipe yet.

I will be making the All-Occasion Downy in a 10’ round and carving into a monkey face.  Will prob bake on Thurs night/Fri morning to be picked up on Fri afternoon and served Sat afternoon.  In addition to a choc butter cake with cookies-n-cream filling 12’ square for the adults.

Bianca

Signature 

“If we couldn’t laugh, we would all go insane.” ~ Jimmy Buffett

Posted: 23 July 2008 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

How does the Milk Chocolate BC compare to a whipped ganache? 

I like the taste of chocolate ganache (whipped, glaze or classic) much better than chocolate buttercream, and so does my seven-year old.  It’s something about how well the cream works to mellow and enhance the chocolate.  They are pretty easy to make, just be careful not to overbeat if you’re making the whipped version.  As soon as the mixture looks just slightly thickened, I turn off the mixer and proceed by hand with a whisk.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 23 July 2008 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

The Milk Choc bc is literally like eating semi-melted chocolate and the Light Whipped Ganache is very light and airy (think whipped cream consistency). I have used both of these to frost and fill cakes but never piped with them. Hopefully someone else can help.

Signature 

Posted: 23 July 2008 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-19

Thought of another question…is the texture/consistency of the whipped choc ganche the same as the light whipped choc ganache?  I need a dark brown and a light brown for the monkey face but I want the two to be the same consistency (without using brown coloring to achieve the darker version).

Signature 

Posted: 23 July 2008 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

The whipped chocolate ganache is not light and airy like the light whipped ganache. It is richer and more chocolatey.

Signature 

Posted: 23 July 2008 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-19

The Milk Choc bc is literally like eating semi-melted chocolate and the Whipped Ganache is very light and airy (think whipped cream consistency).

Hmmm…so I am thinking the Milk Choc BC may be too chocolatey for the kids then.  I may go with the whipped ganache as Julie suggested.

Signature 

Posted: 23 July 2008 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

The whipped ganache is also very chocolatey and rich. Maybe you should try the light whipped ganache if you don’t want something too rich and chocolatey.

Signature 

Posted: 23 July 2008 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

The classic ganache (which can be beaten a little) is the most intensely chocolate, followed by the glaze, then the light whipped ganache.  Not sure exactly where the milk chocolate buttercream fits in, probably in the middle with the glaze as buttercreams are seldom as intense as classic ganache. 

If you wanted different shades of brown with same consistency, you could make light whipped ganache and white ganache, then mix them to get a light brown.  These would all have the consistency of whipped cream. 

If you prefer all buttercream textures, you could similarly substitute white chocolate for some of the milk chocolate in the BC, but this would increase sweetness as well as lighten it.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 23 July 2008 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

Julie, the Milk Chocolate buttercream consists of milk chocolate, bittersweet chocolate and butter, so it is really chocolatey.

Signature