Newbie needs advice on traveling w/ buttercream
Posted: 30 March 2012 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-03-30

Hi there!  Is it ok to freeze a wedding cake AFTER it has been torted?  I am making a cake for a 3pm wedding on Sat.  We have to leave Friday afternoon and travel for 3 hours to be there for Friday night. I would like to have as much of the cake done as possible ahead of time.  I wanted to use Polaner all fruit w/ jello mixed in with it for one of the layers, cream cheese frosting for one, and a boston cream filling for the choc. Has anyone ever tried freezing the torted layers.  I’m also concerned about the fruit “seeping” into the cake…is there some way of preventing that?  I thought of a thin layer of b/c since i’ll be making a damn anyway…Also, sorry for the novel!...Does anyone have any advice at all on decorating with pearls and b/c? I have never used them before.  Ideally I would like to have the cakes completely done, and travel with them that way. Do you think the fillings will be ok for 24 hours? (It will be refrigerated after 3 hours)  I use masonite as my base and platic dowels and I have a “cake spotter” riding along. I think the pearls will be an easy decoration to travel with, but am concerned about the fillings.  Should I go with just frosting instead.  I am a perfectionist, and this is my so-to-be-stepdaughters wedding.  Needless to say, I want it to be perfect! grin

Posted: 30 March 2012 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-03-30

soon-to-be ( i need to proof-read)

Posted: 30 March 2012 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Cake60!

Welcome!

As far as freezing goes, if the items will freeze individually, they will freeze perfectly as a composed cake. I freeze composed butter/oil cakes ALL THE TIME.  However, they take a LONG TIME to thaw, so be prepared.  A 2-tier 9” cake takes about 8 hours to come to room temp after freezing and then allowing to thaw in the refrigerator over night, let alone directly from the freezer (which you can also do).

When I freeze, I like to thaw about 24 in the refrigerator, then a couple hours with just a small amount of air circulation (like a little crack in the cake dome) to prevent condensation on the frosting.  I’m thinking, though, the condenesation probably will just happily evaporate on its own if yuo go directly from the freezer, so I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

I’d hesitate on the buttercream layer under the jelly, as it might make it all a bit slippery and unstable.  I’m thinking the jello will make it thick enough to preven that (and the jelly might be fineeven without the jello), but I’ve never done it, so I can’t say.

I’m fairly sure boston cream pie filling freezes without a problem—I’ve frozen layers filled with custard, just not that particular one—but I’m thinking it will be fine.

The decorating questions are out of my league, but I’m sure someone will chime in!!!

Good luck!  So nice of you to make those cakes!!

—ak

Posted: 31 March 2012 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-03-30

Thank You!  It will make it so much easier to have the cake assembled it is a 4 tier stacked 16,12,8, and 4 with the middle two 3 layers!  I use the masonite and really secure it well, so aside from a traffic mishap, I am optimistic.  Hopefully she will like the chocolate, and the white chocolate ganache instead of fruit and cream fillings which I think will work just fine, it freezes well.  The wedding is in May so i look forward to hearing from others as well.  In the meantime, I am off to read more posts…I have learned so much.  Thank You again! grin

Posted: 31 March 2012 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15
thecake60 - 30 March 2012 01:58 PM

Does anyone have any advice at all on decorating with pearls and b/c? I have never used them before.  Ideally I would like to have the cakes completely done, and travel with them that way.

cake60,

I don’t have much cake decorating experience but I did recently use candy pearls on a cake for the first time. Is that what you had in mind or were you making them from fondant? I attached the pearls to fondant using “white chocolate” melts. I found that the candies softened within 24 hours of being attached, which was actually a good thing as they were jaw breakers at the start smile, so I’m sure the same will happen if attached to buttercream. Apart from the change in texture, the pearls held up well, even after freezing, with no apparent change in colour or sheen. (I used pearlized white and silver)

For the fruit filling, you can always use a fruit curd with a buttercream dam, or a buttercream flavoured with an unsweetened fruit puree - both would hold up well.

Hope this helps…..

Posted: 01 April 2012 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-03-30

Sophia, Thank you.  I am making a white choc rasp ganache for the “fruit” filling and hoping I can use the pearls for trimming the top 4 layers and maybe as accents and pipe on dots for the majority of the cake.  Wow I sure am glad I found this site.  I truly appreciate the rapid and wonderful input.  It’s so nice to share with people who have “been there” I learn so much!!!  I will surely post a pic when completed in May!  Thank you again!

Posted: 02 April 2012 01:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  675
Joined  2012-01-12

All I can say is :  Good luck

Since it is May,  temperature wise,  it might not be bad.. But it is the transporting that migth be the problem…  Shifting and shaking and all that in the car..add a lot of dowels thru and thru..

Posted: 18 September 2012 02:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-09-18

hi
i just wana say, be careful and have a nice life

Signature 

Brad