quick bagel question
Posted: 30 March 2012 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-03-30

Hi everyone,

I’m going to be making the bagels from the Bread Bible but wasn’t entire sure about the first step. If any of you have made them before can you clarify the following for me please?

Once the sponge is mixed the instructions ask for it to be covered with plastic wrap. Step 2 then asks that you mix the bulk of the flour with the yeast, malt etc and then pour it on top of the sponge without mixing.

So my question is this - do I let the sponge rest first for several hours? Or do I mix the sponge and then add the mixed ingredients in step 2, then let it rest (I think it was 1hr room temp, and then overnight in the fridge)?

Thank-you in advance!

Posted: 31 March 2012 12:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  325
Joined  2011-10-15
Avram - 30 March 2012 09:56 PM

do I let the sponge rest first for several hours? Or do I mix the sponge and then add the mixed ingredients in step 2, then let it rest (I think it was 1hr room temp, and then overnight in the fridge)?

Hi Avram,

It’s the latter: allow the mixed sponge with the blended dry ingredients in step 2 sprinkled on top to rest, covered, for 1 hour at room temp followed by refrigeration (or 1-4 hours at room temp).

It’s been a while since I made these but they’re delicious…..though I do omit the pepper as it didn’t go over so well with family the first time I made them smile

Good luck and enjoy!

Posted: 03 April 2012 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-03-30

Thanks Sophia. I ended up accidentally making both versions!

On the Friday night I created the sponge and left it in the kitchen, covered. Next morning I saw your reply and so created a new sponge. But instead of throwing out the older sponge I kept it and on Sunday afternoon made around 20 bagels. Haven’t tried the ones with the newer sponge but the older sponge bagels were great!

Next time I’d like to try using some whole-wheat flour to make them a touch healthier. I think I can substitute up to 25% wholewheat (at least, that’s what I remember from a Cooks Illustrated magazine).

Thanks again!