Recipe tweaking for chocolate biscuit de savoie - please advice
Posted: 31 March 2012 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2010-02-10

I need a recipe for chocolate biscuit de savoie using cocoa powder. I am talking about half recipe from the TCB that fits in one 9 inch round pan.

I have come up with estimates for tweaking the original recipe but need advice from baking forum. Similar to chocolate genoise, I plan to increase cake flour to 3/4 cup and replace cornstarch with 1/4 cup cocoa, dissolved in hit water. As per original recipe, I need 4 separated eggs, but should I use 5 eggs similar to chocolate genoise recipe since they say cocoa deflates the batter? IN this case, the whipped egg whites help the batter structure, so I am wondering if I can skip the extra egg.

Also, with cocoa powder, should I add extra sugar to batter? Original recipe requires 1/2 cup sugar.

Posted: 03 April 2012 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

I would leave the sugar be, as biscuit de savoie is sweeter than genoise and you can always fine-tune the syrup.

The cocoa powder contains (naturally-ocurring) fat which will tenderize and weigh down the egg foam, so your cake will be shorter than the classic B d S.  Let us know how it turns out!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 03 April 2012 10:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2010-02-10

Thanks for the response Julie. Do you recommend using 5 eggs or only 4 eggs as required by the original recipe?

By the way, I have successfully integrated 2 tbsp melted butter into the vanilla biscuit de savoie recipe and might trying doing that with this too and see if it works. The reason is, I am always using too little or too much syrup on my sponge cakes and lately my family has been complaining about that. With the butter incorporated into the recipe, it stays very moist for 3-4 days.

Posted: 04 April 2012 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Sorry, I’m not really sure what will happen without a test bake.  Without extra eggs, the cake will be shorter, but I don’t know if that’s a problem for you. 

With the butter and cocoa, it sounds a lot like the Genoise au Chocolate, except that the whites and yolks are beaten separately.  Perhaps try that recipe but with the separate eggs?  Then you’ll also know how much syrup to use- just follow the recipe smile

Good luck!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe