Deep Chocolate Passion Auction Cake
Posted: 01 April 2012 01:19 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2009-05-25

My son’s preschool had a silent auction fundraiser and I donated the Deep Chocolate Passion Cake (9” round) baked and made as directed (syrup, ganache, etc.).  The wedding cake 9” cakes have slightly more batter than the German Chocolate version in the oil cake section of RHC, so I usually go with the 6” and 9” recipe in the wedding cake section—it makes 2—9” rounds and 12 cupcakes that get slightly domed when left to sit for the duration it takes to bake the cakes. 

Since I have a fairly cool home in winter/spring/fall—I find that some of Rose’s guidelines for temperature to be a bit on the cool side when your ambient temperature is already cool—for instance, applying ganache was a nightmare— I stopped to deal with my daughter and it hardened on the cake and was a royal pain to smooth—I had trouble lights and warm spatulas on the go to try and up the temperature (the actual ganache I was using was spreadable, but the stuff on the cake was stiff).  Also, the lacquer glaze goes on a bit better for me when applied at around 90F because my home is <70F.  I also found out the hard way that giving the cake a little tap when the glaze is going on is a bad idea.  The excess on the top started to cascade on the almost smooth sides and left drips.  I did a second coat (luckily I made the the full batch of glaze—was planning to freeze any excess—and made the 6/9” batch of ganache) of the glaze because I had to resmooth the sides with a spatula.  A kitchen torch also works to help “remelt” trouble spots so they smooth out.  I accidentally touched the side of the cake and the warming with the torch worked well to flatten the spot. 

I made the chocolate plastic roses using Dede Wilson’s recipe—I think it uses less corn syrup and it sets up a bit faster. 

I used the cupcakes for the concession at the auction—just topped with white chocolate mouselline. 

I also donated 1 dozen lemon chiffon cupcakes with a hidden layer of lemon curd and frosted with the lemon white chocolate custard buttercream from the Golden Dream Wedding Cake—omg, this stuff is awesome!! First time making it!!  It’s incredibly easy to do, btw—it’s been on my list of to-make things for awhile.  I topped with hand made chocolate plastic blossoms—only problem is, my pics were deleted by mistake.  But…I’m hoping the lucky winner of the auction (my mom) can send me a few pics!!  I piled the icing on high for the auction, but I made a few extra cupcakes and did a single circle of buttercream (sort of like a dam or nest) on the top of the cupcake and filled with lemon curd and I think I would make them this way for future cupcakes.  That way the curd is visible.

Image Attachments
2012-03-30_3816_editshrink_.jpg2012-03-30_3813_editshrink_.jpg2012-03-29_3804_editshrink_.jpg

Posted: 01 April 2012 01:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1148
Joined  2009-11-24

Well, the cake, the roses and the leaves are stunning!!!  Thank you for the details on the ganache, temps and behavior.  This, I think, explains differences I have experienced.  I hope also to see photo of the other cupcake.  Meanwhile, did I say how beautiful your Deep Choc Passion Cake is?  It is just beautiful. 

P.S.  in which book or source is Dede Wilson’s plastic chocolate?

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 01 April 2012 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  279
Joined  2011-10-15

Sherrie, the cake is breathtaking…the roses, the pearls, the glaze are just perfect. The winner must have been thrilled!

The lemon cupcakes sound wonderful also..I hope you do get a photo. I’ve only made the lemon/white chocolate buttercream from the golden dream cake once but I remember how delicious it was….I remember melting the white chocolate being a little tricky but Julie had kindly warned me in advance so it worked out well.

Posted: 01 April 2012 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

Sherrie,
Brava!!!  Everything was beautifully done. Thank you for sharing such an awe inspiring cake. I can’t take my eyes off of it. smile

Posted: 01 April 2012 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  764
Joined  2007-11-15

What a beautiful chocolate cake!  It is perfect! tongue laugh

Posted: 01 April 2012 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Thank you, everyone, for the kind words.  I enjoy doing these things and I love seeing the work that everyone on the forum creates—it’s neat to see how different elements come together.

@CRenee:  The chocolate plastic is out of The Wedding Cake Book. 

I was also going to mention that I think it would be neat to pipe with the lacquer glaze—when it comes out of the fridge it’s firm enough.  I used ganche for the pearl border (in hindsight, I don’t care for the “kiss” appearance and should have gone for a rounded top…next time!), BUT I think the lacquer glaze would work ok too!!!  Next time I use it I will try this as it seems intriguing to me.

Posted: 01 April 2012 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2011-09-03

Oh Sherrie, that’s beautiful!!!! I’ll bet there was fierce competition for your cake! It’s so elegant, I just love it!

Posted: 02 April 2012 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

Sherrie, everything is absolutely gorgeous!

Posted: 03 April 2012 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

Sherrie, that cake is so beautiful!  Your roses are amazing.  The contrast of the matte roses and shiny glaze is also lovely.  And the slize of the rose “cluster” to the cake itself is just so perfect.  Congratulations!!!  Did you know the person who won it at the auction??  Have you heard anything from them?

Posted: 03 April 2012 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  2007-11-15

Wow, this is stunning. The roses look perfect and so delicate. Amazing work!

Posted: 03 April 2012 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25
Anne in NC - 03 April 2012 10:58 AM

Did you know the person who won it at the auction??  Have you heard anything from them?

Umm, yes.  I do know the person who won it—my chocoholic father-in-law.  They are having it at an Easter celebration—not sure if I’m attending.  However, there were bids from other people I don’t actually know (it wasn’t just my family there smile ).

Posted: 03 April 2012 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

Well, we can certainly say that your family loves your baking, and what could be nicer than that????

Posted: 03 April 2012 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Oh my, Sherrie, they are totally gorgeous! I love getting to see your work!  Your chocolate roses are just perfect, and your lemon cupcakes sound wonderful, too.  So glad you like that buttercream, I think it’s amazing, too.  I think it’s great that your family bid aggressively for them smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 03 April 2012 10:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1148
Joined  2009-11-24
Sherrie - 01 April 2012 08:01 PM

Thank you, everyone, for the kind words.  I enjoy doing these things and I love seeing the work that everyone on the forum creates—it’s neat to see how different elements come together.

@CRenee:  The chocolate plastic is out of The Wedding Cake Book. 

I was also going to mention that I think it would be neat to pipe with the lacquer glaze—when it comes out of the fridge it’s firm enough.  I used ganche for the pearl border (in hindsight, I don’t care for the “kiss” appearance and should have gone for a rounded top…next time!), BUT I think the lacquer glaze would work ok too!!!  Next time I use it I will try this as it seems intriguing to me.

Oh I have that Dede Wilson book….I will give it a try to see if it is easier.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.