Need help with the tiering of the cake
Posted: 03 April 2012 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2012-03-29

Dear Rose and all the senior members.

Hello. I have been a fan of Rose and have tried several cakes from TCB and would like to thank her & all of you for the support without which baking would not have been a cakewalk
I am posting a picture of a wedding cake which has to be done in three flavours -chocolate with chocolate ganache, carrot with cream cheese and vanilla cake with pineapple. The cake is in two tiers - the bottom tier being in 10? diameter x 14? tall and the top tier 8? diameter x 8? tall.
P
lease advise if I need to put a cake plate after every 4? for the base tier to support the weight. Also, should the chocolate cake be covered with fondant separately, carrot cake separately and then tiered and covered once again with fondant to get a smooth 14? height finish. 

How should the pattern be done. Should I use an edible sheet to cover the cake ot airbrush using a stencil for the pattern.
Last but not the least, any suggestions as to what should be placed on the top tier so that it does not look empty, at the same time it doesnot take away from the main focus point.

Thanks for all the help and look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Juno

Image Attachments
photo.jpg

Posted: 05 April 2012 08:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  687
Joined  2012-01-12

Your top layer is not big,  but still add a cardboard under it,  and a few dowel under it to hold it steady.  You cannot go wrong adding support.

Are you covering this with fondant ?  Fondant is so easy to do stencil.  It is not hard to do,  but it is one of those things that will need practice. 

This is where I got my cake stencil:    http://www.designerstencils.com/

Good luck

Posted: 08 April 2012 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-03-29

Thanks Prettycake.
It is a good idea to use the stencil but I have a reverse print to do. The damask stencil part would be white while the base colour has to be peach so we need to figure out how to do that.
Any more suggestions!

Thanks for the wishes.. I need lots of luck with this cake wink

Posted: 09 April 2012 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12
juno - 08 April 2012 05:56 PM

Thanks Prettycake.
It is a good idea to use the stencil but I have a reverse print to do. The damask stencil part would be white while the base colour has to be peach so we need to figure out how to do that.
Any more suggestions!

Thanks for the wishes.. I need lots of luck with this cake wink

Ok,  how about coloring the back ground peach and the stencil white ?  it is doable.. why is that difficult ?

Posted: 10 April 2012 07:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-03-29

I can give it a try for sure. What White would you suggest to use and how many coats to get a good solid white… Witon White is a little too thick for stencilling.

Posted: 10 April 2012 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Well,  the icing to use for stencil is royal icing.  If that is too white for you,  then color it ivory.  You can only apply icing over stencil ones.  You can do twice BUT only before you remove the stencil and not after then go back.  It will be a mess.  Did you mean the Wiltons Fondant that you are referring too thick ?  The thickness is really up to you .  If you roll it out thinner,  then it will be thinner.

I suggest that you practice well before making this cake that is the only way to find out.

Posted: 10 April 2012 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-03-29

Thanks Prettycake. Royal icing is a good idea too. With Wilton white I was refering to the white colour and not fondant.
Have a good day and thanks for forwarding the stencil source..it will come handy smile