A Ginger Cake - But not a sticky ginger cake - Add ginger to a “regular” Rose cake?
Posted: 04 April 2012 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3132
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, all!

I want to make a ginger cake with peach frosting for my boss’s birthday. I’ve found some ginger cakes that people are simply wild about, but they’re all in the realm of sticky and sort of traditional, fairly sweet gingerbread—which I love, but not what I want for this occastion. I think.*  So I don’t want to use Rose’s gingerbread, either. I just want a “regular” butter cake, only ginger.

So, what I was wondering was this.  What is the liklihood of something like the White Velvet Butter Cake (or a different BUTTER cake that you might suggest) and adding some ground ginger, minced stem ginger and lemon zest to it?  Any ideas of quantities for two-layer 9x2” cake?  Would it make more sense to make the lemon poppyseed, sans poppyseeds and replacing some lemon with ginger, as a layer cake?

I’d love any ideas!  I’m okay with the frosting—I pretty much know what I’m doing there.

Thank you!

—ak

* As a p.s., this one has 135 ratings wtih an average of 5 stars: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1462/sticky-stem-ginger-cake-with-lemon-icing?pager.offset=60

Posted: 04 April 2012 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  592
Joined  2007-11-27

All of those (adding ground ginger powder, minced crystallized ginger, and lemon zest) would work, I would say to use about an ounce or two of minced ginger, and a 1 or 1.5 tsp of ground ginger in the recipe (take a look at the spiced pound cake for more inspiration, and maybe even modify that recipe, and add stewed spiced peaches to the center ring, and a peach-flavored whipped cream, using peach nectar if you can find it).  I think there’s a ginger-something marmelade on the market (made by Trappist?) so you could spread that on the layers if you needed more of a ginger hit after baking…..

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 04 April 2012 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, Jeanne!  I will scope the white spiced pound cake from TCB as well as the spice cake in RHC (which, I might not recall correctly, only has cinnamon and, I think, one other spice in it).  I have to unpack them!

I was considering peach whipped cream vs. peach buttercream. 

I have freeze dried peaches that I was going to powder and add to stabilized whipped cream as a filling and then make a peach buttercream for the outside using cream cheese, butter, thickened milk, raw honey (because it’s solid at room temp), and powdered freeze dried peaches.  Maybe a little ginger or lemon.  Then cover the whole thing (or the sides) with slivered almonds.  Maybe some cheerful stem gingers on top.

I suppose even if I under-estimate and it’s not terribly gingery, it will still be a yummy cake!  Maybe I’ll go with adding spice to the buttermilk country cake—lots of ginger cakes tend to use buttermilk.

Posted: 04 April 2012 11:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  609
Joined  2012-01-12

When I made my ginger/Lemon & caramel cake,  I added candied ginger..  I chopped it really fine and folded into the batter..

Image Attachments
P1010224.jpg

Posted: 05 April 2012 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, Prettycake!  When I saw your S ‘n’ T post on this cake, I thought how we are of one mind at the moment with our ginger cakes (I’ve been planning this one for a while)!!!!!

I’m making this sort of spreadsheet comparing the different cakes I’ve found and scaling them all for 200g flour.  I’m really tripping at the differences in them.  None of them are anything alike in the basic “cake part.”