Coconut Chocolate Cake
Posted: 09 April 2012 12:49 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1196
Joined  2009-11-24

Maintaining my integrity, I am sharing what is not even pretty.  I have been wanting to do this cake for sometime.  It is the RHC Southern Manhattan Cake with Silk Meringue Buttercream Filling and a Chocolate Ganache.  After completing the cake, I wish I had not piped the buttercream atop.  First it was hard because there is coconot in the butercream….but all that aside, THE CAKE IS DELICIOUS.  That was the feedback of all who had some..and it was going fast with other cakes available.  This ganache I have been making for years is the formula from Food and Wine.  Unsweetened chocolate, heavy cream with sugar and butter.  Now that I have also been making the ganache in TCB or RHC, I find this ganache too sweet.  I thought I might forget or not have opp to get a photo of slice and I did not. 

Here is the almost crumb coated cake and the complete 7 inch cake.

Image Attachments
April8Cakes_003.jpgApril8Cakes_022.jpg
 Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 09 April 2012 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1610
Joined  2011-02-17

It came out very nice. I’ve over-looked this cake. I have to give it a second look. Thanks

Posted: 09 April 2012 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  306
Joined  2011-10-15

I love the combination of coconut and chocolate. And anything baked in a 7” pan looks cute!

Posted: 09 April 2012 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

I like the contrast in colors!  Whenever I pipe in contrasting colors, which doesn’t actually happen often, I always decide that if it doesn’t work, I’ll swirl it in. And if I don’t like the swirl, I’ll blend it in completely, so you can always do that, too, if it doesn’t work as planned.  In any case, YUM!

Posted: 09 April 2012 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

It looks inviting and with the buttercream and chocolate—DELICIOUS!  I too have overlooked this cake—I think that happens when there are pics for so many of the other cakes!  Great job!

Posted: 09 April 2012 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4816
Joined  2008-04-16

Cute size and I like the texture of the sides.  Very appealing cake, and I couldn’t agree more that coconut and chocolate is delish!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Three New Takes on a Classic Fall Dessert