2 of 3
Flour Low Fat Vegan Chocolate
Posted: 09 April 2012 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17
Anne in NC - 09 April 2012 07:36 PM

She uses 130g unsifted cake flour per cup

Isn’t that strange?  I saw another recipe that uses 130g per cup, and it kind of freaked me out, since Rose uses 100g.  It seems a huge difference, doesn’t it?????

I just checked Rose’s table of weights from TPPB.

She lists dip and sweep cake flour at 130 and sifted at 100.

I now have to assume Flo was referring to dip and sweep since her recipe in Baking For All Occasions does not call for sifted flour; she sifts after combining dry ingredients.

In the recipe you have, Flo calls for sifted flour. In that case, I would go by the 100g.

Posted: 09 April 2012 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

If you want her banana cake or any other recipe from her book, I will be happy to type it and message it to you. [\quote]

Thank you, FG!  I am definitely doing either spice cake or ginger cake (but not gingerbread cake) for this b’day!  And thank you for the good info!  The one recipe was from the “Food and Wine” web site, which I think she does a lot of writing for, so I feel pretty safe with that direct link.  But I agree ... lots of people modify and do recipes “inspired by” ...

Posted: 09 April 2012 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thank you, FG!  I am definitely doing either spice cake or ginger cake (but not gingerbread cake) for this b’day!  And thank you for the good info!  The one recipe was from the “Food and Wine” web site, which I think she does a lot of writing for, so I feel pretty safe with that direct link.  But I agree ... lots of people modify and do recipes “inspired by” ...

I will be looking forward to pictures grin

Posted: 09 April 2012 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24

I will have to check into Flo at some point…as well as see what Cooks Illustrated has.  I particularly needed a cake with zero dairy- no milk - no eggs.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 09 April 2012 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
CRenee - 09 April 2012 08:28 PM

I will have to check into Flo at some point…as well as see what Cooks Illustrated has.  I particularly needed a cake with zero dairy- no milk - no eggs.

Then I would suggest Fran Costigan’s Chocolate Cake To Live For. No dairy and nothing artificial. No egg replacers or Vegan margarine.

http://health.discovery.com/fansites/sara-snow/recipes/vegan-cake.html

If you or the girl make this, please let me know how it is.

I would still go with the frosting in Vegan Baking instead of the frosting that goes with that cake.  Neither of the frosting recipes uses any dairy either.

BTW, this is the Cook’s illustrated cake.  It came out delish. Very rich flavor and perfect crumb. It was made in a food processor and the flour added by hand. I messed-up the glaze though. I didn’t follow their recipe. This cake calls for a thicker glaze. It has only 1 whole egg, 2 egg whites and no dairy. Perhaps egg replacer can be substituted?

Image Attachments
IMG_5594.jpg

Posted: 09 April 2012 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Flour Girl, your bundt looks great smile

Re: Flour’s chocolate vegan cake, I haven’t tried the recipe but I have tried the cake at Flour bakery.  It was not domed to the extent that your is, so maybe something was lost in translation when the recipe was scaled down.  I didn’t like it much but my daughter thought it was great.  Very dark and the texture was quite moist.  Given the dry texture and dome, I’d speculate that maybe there’s a problem with the quantity of flour in the recipe.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 09 April 2012 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Julie - 10 April 2012 12:27 AM

Thanks Julie!

Posted: 09 April 2012 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25

Are Flo Braker’s books written using weights (ideally metric) or just in volume with a table at the back/front?  I’m not allowed to purchase any more baking books unless they have weights but hers have been of interest to me.

Posted: 09 April 2012 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks for the notes, FG, on Flo’s sifted vs. dip/scoop weights—if I make hers, and I well might, I’ll use 100g to the cup, then.

Your bundt has a really beautiful crumb!!! I’m so glad your new directions, ingredients-wise, are working so well for you!!!!

Posted: 10 April 2012 01:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Sherrie - 10 April 2012 12:52 AM

Are Flo Braker’s books written using weights (ideally metric) or just in volume with a table at the back/front?  I’m not allowed to purchase any more baking books unless they have weights but hers have been of interest to me.

They are like Rose’s, weight and volume is given for all ingredients.  Rose has a table of weights and measures in TP&PB;.  It hangs on my refrig and has allowed me to use recipes in volume with success.

Posted: 10 April 2012 01:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Anne in NC - 10 April 2012 01:53 AM

Thanks for the notes, FG, on Flo’s sifted vs. dip/scoop weights—if I make hers, and I well might, I’ll use 100g to the cup, then.

Your bundt has a really beautiful crumb!!! I’m so glad your new directions, ingredients-wise, are working so well for you!!!!

Thank you Anne.  I had a piece tonight. It was okay, not great, but it had a rich flavor.  So far, my favorite low cholesterol recipe is the oatmeal-chocolate chip cake in Baked 2 tied with King Arthur’s oatmeal banana cake in their whole grain book. I modified both recipes and oatmeal as an ingredient makes it even more effective. It is fun experimenting. I am still making Rose’s recipes for my husband a few times per week.

I am eager to find out if you like the recipe surprised

Posted: 10 April 2012 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25
Flour Girl - 10 April 2012 04:07 AM

They are like Rose’s, weight and volume is given for all ingredients.  Rose has a table of weights and measures in TP&PB;.  It hangs on my refrig and has allowed me to use recipes in volume with success.

I’ve tried that, but some authors don’t indicate how flour is measured (d/s, sifted, lightly spooned)—so in some cases this doesn’t work very well for me… hence just finding reliable authors!!  I very much appreciate the reminder about Flo Braker’s books!

Posted: 10 April 2012 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Sherrie - 10 April 2012 04:34 PM
Flour Girl - 10 April 2012 04:07 AM

I’ve tried that, but some authors don’t indicate how flour is measured (d/s, sifted, lightly spooned)—so in some cases this doesn’t work very well for me… hence just finding reliable authors!!  I very much appreciate the reminder about Flo Braker’s books!

I felt the same way as you, for the longest time, but I wanted to expand my library and found I was limiting my choices. So far, I have had very good results.

I’ve had both Baked books for a long time before I even opened them. I emailed the authors of Baked and asked how much their flour weighs in recipes.  This was Jordan’s response: ” Our cup of all purpose flour weighs out at 137g.”  I have made several of their recipes. I’m glad I tried because their recipes really rock. Their Sour Cream Coffee Cake in Baked 1 was amazing. I brought it to a Nascar party recently and everyone thought it was the best they ever had. I won’t eat it though, it uses 16oz of sour cream.  Someone who I don’t really know came over to me and said I did a great job and then went to the other guests and told them to try it. I also brought Flo’s banana cake and everyone loved it too.

Authors seem to be more accessible now that there is access to them via social media.

Posted: 10 April 2012 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Flour Girl - 09 April 2012 10:21 PM
CRenee - 09 April 2012 08:28 PM

Then I would suggest Fran Costigan’s Chocolate Cake To Live For. No dairy and nothing artificial. No egg replacers or Vegan margarine.

http://health.discovery.com/fansites/sara-snow/recipes/vegan-cake.html

If you or the girl make this, please let me know how it is.

I would still go with the frosting in Vegan Baking instead of the frosting that goes with that cake.  Neither of the frosting recipes uses any dairy either.

BTW, this is the Cook’s illustrated cake.  It came out delish. Very rich flavor and perfect crumb. It was made in a food processor and the flour added by hand. I messed-up the glaze though. I didn’t follow their recipe. This cake calls for a thicker glaze. It has only 1 whole egg, 2 egg whites and no dairy. Perhaps egg replacer can be substituted?

That is delicious looking bundt!!!!

Signature 

Posted: 10 April 2012 05:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Julie - 10 April 2012 12:27 AM

Re: Flour’s chocolate vegan cake, I haven’t tried the recipe but I have tried the cake at Flour bakery.  It was not domed to the extent that your is, so maybe something was lost in translation when the recipe was scaled down.  I didn’t like it much but my daughter thought it was great.  Very dark and the texture was quite moist.  Given the dry texture and dome, I’d speculate that maybe there’s a problem with the quantity of flour in the recipe.

Thank you, Julie…I, too, was thinking there was a problem that occured in scaling down as well.  You have been to Flour, heh?  smile

Signature 

2 of 3