3 of 3
Flour Low Fat Vegan Chocolate
Posted: 10 April 2012 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1180
Joined  2009-11-24
Sherrie - 10 April 2012 12:52 AM

Are Flo Braker’s books written using weights (ideally metric) or just in volume with a table at the back/front?  I’m not allowed to purchase any more baking books unless they have weights but hers have been of interest to me.

Not allowed to buy any baking books unless they have weights?  LOL..  funny, that is one way to cut back.  I have purchased at least 3 books in the last 8 weeks….....and have only baked the Vegan cake. I am going to have to institute this rule.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 10 April 2012 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1180
Joined  2009-11-24
Flour Girl - 10 April 2012 04:07 AM

Are Flo Braker’s books written using weights (ideally metric) or just in volume with a table at the back/front?  I’m not allowed to purchase any more baking books unless they have weights but hers have been of interest to me.

They are like Rose’s, weight and volume is given for all ingredients.  Rose has a table of weights and measures in TP&PB;.  It hangs on my refrig and has allowed me to use recipes in volume with success.

I refer to Rose’s charts also… Glad to hear you are having success.  I will do it more often.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 10 April 2012 07:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15
Flour Girl - 09 April 2012 06:56 PM
Sophia - 09 April 2012 06:09 PM

I just received my copy of Flo Braker’s Baking for All Occasions….the recipes you’ve mentioned sound sooo good but there are so many in the book, I don’t know where to start!

I’d love to know which recipes you bake.

Good luck and enjoy!!

With all of the talk about spice cake, I decided to try the Spicy Yogurt Pound Cake. It worked beautifully - moist, tight crumb, complex spice flavour (it includes cocoa powder and black pepper), instructions and baking times were clear and accurate. If all of the recipes in the book are like this, I think I’ll enjoy it very much. Thank you, FG, for the recommendation.

Image Attachments
spicyyogurtpoundcake1.jpgspicyyogurtpouncakeslice.jpg

Posted: 10 April 2012 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  910
Joined  2009-05-25
Sophia - 10 April 2012 10:57 PM

I just received my copy of Flo Braker’s Baking for All Occasions….the recipes you’ve mentioned sound sooo good but there are so many in the book, I don’t know where to start!

Good luck and enjoy!!

With all of the talk about spice cake, I decided to try the Spicy Yogurt Pound Cake. It worked beautifully - moist, tight crumb, complex spice flavour (it includes cocoa powder and black pepper), instructions and baking times were clear and accurate. If all of the recipes in the book are like this, I think I’ll enjoy it very much. Thank you, FG, for the recommendation.

Gorgeous cake, Sophia!  I love the Heritage pan!  I’m quickly being convinced I need to purchase this book!

Posted: 10 April 2012 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17
CRenee - 10 April 2012 08:55 PM
Flour Girl - 09 April 2012 10:21 PM
CRenee - 09 April 2012 08:28 PM

I will have to check into Flo at some point…as well as see what Cooks Illustrated has.  I particularly needed a cake with zero dairy- no milk - no eggs.

Then I would suggest Fran Costigan’s Chocolate Cake To Live For. No dairy and nothing artificial. No egg replacers or Vegan margarine.

http://health.discovery.com/fansites/sara-snow/recipes/vegan-cake.html

If you or the girl make this, please let me know how it is.

I would still go with the frosting in Vegan Baking instead of the frosting that goes with that cake.  Neither of the frosting recipes uses any dairy either.

BTW, this is the Cook’s illustrated cake.  It came out delish. Very rich flavor and perfect crumb. It was made in a food processor and the flour added by hand. I messed-up the glaze though. I didn’t follow their recipe. This cake calls for a thicker glaze. It has only 1 whole egg, 2 egg whites and no dairy. Perhaps egg replacer can be substituted?

That is delicious looking bundt!!!!

Thank you! The cake is very rich. I think it would be better with a thicker glaze. But, it’s one more recipe in my low-cholesterol arsenal.

Posted: 10 April 2012 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Sophia - 10 April 2012 10:57 PM

Good luck and enjoy!!

You’re welcome! I’m so glad you liked it. It looks beautiful and so delicious! I haven’t made this recipe yet. Going to check the ingredients and prepare to make it later this week. Thank you Sophia!

Posted: 10 April 2012 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
CRenee - 10 April 2012 09:00 PM
Flour Girl - 10 April 2012 04:07 AM

They are like Rose’s, weight and volume is given for all ingredients.  Rose has a table of weights and measures in TP&PB;.  It hangs on my refrig and has allowed me to use recipes in volume with success.

I refer to Rose’s charts also… Glad to hear you are having success.  I will do it more often.

Thank you!  grin

Posted: 11 April 2012 12:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
CRenee - 10 April 2012 08:58 PM

Not allowed to buy any baking books unless they have weights?  LOL..  funny, that is one way to cut back.  I have purchased at least 3 books in the last 8 weeks….....and have only baked the Vegan cake. I am going to have to institute this rule.

May I ask which books you’ve recently purchased ?

3 of 3