Apple Galette- Pie & Pastry Bible
Posted: 09 April 2012 11:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

This the Pie & Pastry Bible’s Apple Galette, it was one of the easiest and least labor-intensive pies I’ve ever made- perfect for a holiday meal when I had plenty of other things to make.  It was very yummy, too! 

I followed the recipe to a T, the only exception being that I didn’t use all the apricot preserves that were called for (I only seemed to need a couple of tablespoons, instead of the 1/2 cup listed).  My only notes are to use good, intense fruit if possible and to be sure to include the optional apricot glaze.  I liked the sugar coated edges, they were crispy and delicious.  I think the pear version must be excellent, looking for a chance to try it, too.

Image Attachments
apple galette.jpg
 Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 10 April 2012 12:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  903
Joined  2009-05-25

Ummm, yummy!  I love the care with which you placed the apples—so lovely!  I must say that I absolutely love the peach galette recipe Rose posted on the website a few summers ago.  Every summer I buy a case of peaches just so I can bake the galette!  The sugar sprinkles are just perfect—I made the designer Cherry Pie today and was thinking I should have sugared the “leaves” I set on top!  What kind of apples did you use?  I’m quite partial to the Ambrosia variety that’s now out—usually they are tart and crisp with a good dash of sweetness.

Posted: 10 April 2012 02:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

Oh, it is perfect Julie. I so have to make this. Thanks for saying it is easy to make. I’m little intimidated by pies.

Posted: 10 April 2012 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

Julie, your galette is beautiful and inviting…love the arrangement of the apple slices.

I, too, found that the 1/2 cup apricot preserves was too much for the mango tart, even with glazing the crust as well as the fruit topping.

Posted: 10 April 2012 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3149
Joined  2010-04-25

That is just beautiful, Julie!  The lovely brown crust and the apple arrangement—- mmmmm! Thanks for the notes on the glaze, as well!

Posted: 10 April 2012 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words!

Sherrie, I haven’t tried the peach galette yet, but after this and with your recommendation, I’ll have to do it this summer. smile  Your cherry pie sounds lovely- any pics? The sugar is nice, but it does cover up any detail- for instance it would cover up any veining on your leaves.  It’s nice for plain shapes, though, without any surface detail.  I like the Ambrosia apples, too!  This is the first year our small town has had them, but hopefully not the last.  The galette was granny smith, though I’d be interested to try the Ambrosia in a pie, have you baked them?

Flour Girl, if you use a food processor to make the dough (be careful not to over-process), and a machine to peel/slice/core the apples (I have a hand-crank one that works well), it all comes together pretty quickly and easily for a scratch pie.  You can do it!

Signature 

Posted: 10 April 2012 09:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

I really want to make it. My husband loves all pie. I’ve only made one pie in my life, the Best All American Pie,  and it took me 12 hours. Since then, I have become a little more familiar with handling dough, ironically,  from making dog bones LOL but I find working with dough to be more fun and less stressful now. It sounds as though this would be the best recipe for me to try.

Posted: 11 April 2012 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

I agree, for a fruit pie that’s all from-scratch, this is a great way to go.  Be sure to use the updated pie crust recipe (with heavy cream) over on the blog.

Signature 

Posted: 11 April 2012 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thanks Julie! I’ll go look for that recipe now. I must have missed it and didn’t even know about it.

Posted: 11 April 2012 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Julie, is this it?

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2005/10/roses_favorite_flaky_tender_pi.html

Posted: 12 April 2012 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Yes, that’s it- it’s updated to use heavy cream instead of water, for more tenderness.

Signature 

Posted: 12 April 2012 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thanks Julie. I’ll print it and stick it in my book.

Posted: 13 April 2012 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Hi Julie! 
Haven’t been on the blog much…this looks absolutely delicious.  I think I’m going to give it a try this weekend.  Thanks for the inspiration! It looks just picture perfect.  Beautiful Job!

Posted: 13 April 2012 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Thanks, Bill!  How nice to “see” you!

Signature 

‹‹ Sushi cookies      Silent Auction Cupcakes ››